98 tacoma 2.4L 5 spd exhaust manifold heat shield

My heat shield is cracking around the mounting bolt holes, currently hanging on by 1 bolt. How to repair. I tried to get the heat shield rewelded, I took it to a local muffler shop and they recommended against having them trying to weld on it, he said the shield is multi-layered and they would just be blowing holes in it attempting to weld on it. He also recommended for me to try a professional welder, maybe they could TIG weld it. Currently I purchased some high heat epoxy and have applied it around the bolt holes. Anybody have any other suggestions.

Does anyone have the heat shield lying around their garage. Maybe after replacing the manifold with headers.

I think that is the best bet, a take off or new factory shield.

As for welding, I only know enough about it to say that the muffler shop guy has integrity. Pretty much anything can be welded, but hard jobs require a very skilled welder I've seen many things ruined by low talent welders that didn't want to admit that the particular project was over their head. I don't know if welding is viable. It may not be a hard job for most welders and therefore not that expensive. Or, it might be really tricky and the guy who can do it might charge you and arm and a leg.

Back