ABS problems

Roberte65

Hi tacoma forums,
I have a 2007 4wd tacoma with about 116,000 miles on it. Everything about the vehicle is great except for an issue with the ABS system.
The ABS system has been falsely engaging itself when braking under 20 mph. The tricky part is that it will only happen after driving for about 30 minutes. I will hear the click and buzzing sound of the abs engaging and I will feel the brake pedal get taken over by the system. There are no other results besides the sound and the sensation in the brake pedal.
I have taken it to numerous shops and even the dealership to try to fix this problem. All rotors, pads and other brake components are in 100% working condition. The issue the mechanics have been seeing is that the ABS senors will get dirty and accumulate metal shavings, which causes them to misread. A loose bearing was discovered to be causing friction with the wheel hub assembly and was believed to be the cause of the metal shavings that block the sensor. I have had the bearing replaced and have had both front sensors thoroughly cleaned. The problem still persists. During the life of this issue, the ABS light has only come on once (after the wheel bearing was replaced) and because that signals that the ABS system has been turned off, the problem went away. Upon taking it back into the shop, they were able to read the code from the light coming on (the first time a mechanic could get any code reads pertaining to the abs system). The code said that there was an obstruction on the abs sensors and they needed to be cleaned. The mechanic claimed that since the replaced bearing didn't solve the issue, that it was something in the wiring or the computer that tells the system to engage. He could not discover any electrical component that could be fixed.

If anyone has any advise or similar issues, please let me know.
Thanks!

Back