Acceleration hesitation

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Taco Crews, Nov 8, 2019 at 10:45 AM.

1. Taco Crews

Taco Crews New Member

I'm getting a hesitation on take off through my first few gears. Checked the plugs they look good. It's on a 06 Tacoma

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Will Evans

Will Evans Well-Known Member

Is it harder to start when hot? Could be compression.
    Is your air filter dirty?
    How about your fuel filter? I've heard these trucks are notorious for the fuel filter degrading and then clogging the system. Lets hope its not that.

4. OP
    Taco Crews

Taco Crews New Member

Only had it 3 weeks trying to figure out all it's issues. Gives me a place to start though. Thank you.

5. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Replace plugs with oem denso coppers.
    Dump and replace fluids
    Fuel pump and filter are in the gas tank, leave that as a last resort imho.
    Replace air filter
    Remove negative battery wire for half an hour
    Clean maf sensor
    Clean throttle body

Maybe u got crap gas?
    What do u mean plugs looked good?
    What was their gap?

Scott Wyman likes this.
  6. OP
    Taco Crews

Taco Crews New Member

Plugs where gaped at 35 I changed them to 44. There NGK was told they had just replaced them not to long ago. I was checking to see if maybe one was loose.its got 135000 miles and cold air intake. My next step was to start playing with the fuel system. To see if I can get it to smooth out.

7. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Get a pic of the intake for me

Is this a 4 cylinder or the v6?
    Those gap numbers dont sound right for the 4.0 v6......
    44 sounds off a little even

U sure they are the CORRECT plugs?

"Not long ago" means nothing in the world of used vehicles, esp in the 4.0 v6, those should be replaced at 30K.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 2:45 PM
  8. OP
    Taco Crews

Taco Crews New Member

It is the V6. What's the best plugs for it? And at what gap should I run them? Intake looks clean. It idles perfect. Only get the hesitation when I accelerate from a from a stop. Acting like a vacuum issue.

9. john morris

john morris New Member

I have '05 w/ 295K miles just started with acceleration hesitation. You mention clean "maf sensor and throttle body"? Can you elaborate? My mechanic skills are limited. Thanks!

10. Will Evans

Will Evans Well-Known Member