Acceleration-manual vs auto

brianc401

Hi All
Within the next few months I’ll be buying my first Tacoma...actually first pickup truck in general. I love manual transmissions and have only driven manual for the last 20 yrs. But, I’ve read in a few different places the manual is almost 3 times slower then the automatic (and every other midsize pickup) when accelerating 50-70mph. Has anyone else read this? 0-60 and 1/4 mile are slightly quicker, though. I know the Taco isn’t a race car. But, i think a certain amount of acceleration is important to be safe and could be necessary sometimes to avoid an accident; and 13.8sec to go from 50 to 70 doesn’t sound safe to me.
Has anyone else read this or drive the manual?
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! I have the auto-tranny in my '17 and am very pleased with it. A few have posted here they're very happy with the manuals. The ECT button on my '17 changes the shift points and really gives the Taco a needed boost for towing or passing.

What model?
2nd gen 40-90 and this is has room for improvement.
Auto

Blower, headers, ypipe, intake, 3" exhaust, stock pulley.
Heat exchanger wasnt working correctly either.

Last edited:
40 to about 100
Horn honk at the end.... forgot i had the gopro on the truck and i was pissed.
This guy was doing way under the limit and STILL slowing for turns.

If ur talking about 3rd gens tho........ they need to scream

Hi All
Within the next few months I’ll be buying my first Tacoma...actually first pickup truck in general. I love manual transmissions and have only driven manual for the last 20 yrs. But, I’ve read in a few different places the manual is almost 3 times slower then the automatic (and every other midsize pickup) when accelerating 50-70mph. Has anyone else read this? 0-60 and 1/4 mile are slightly quicker, though. I know the Taco isn’t a race car. But, i think a certain amount of acceleration is important to be safe and could be necessary sometimes to avoid an accident; and 13.8sec to go from 50 to 70 doesn’t sound safe to me.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
Get whichever you want. Manual or auto.
The manual being slower shouldn’t even be an issue because you control the gear so just downshift and run it.

Hi All
Thanks.
I have a 17 manual and I can assure you that I'm not getting ran over everywhere I go. It took a bit of adjustment to get used to this truck, it likes rpm's so I give em to it. If you are accustomed to manual transmissions, why change it up? I've only owned 2 automatics in my life and had a deep passionate hate for both of them, (I even built one of them myself) This is my 4th manual Tacoma, and would never have it any other way.

Thanks for all the great responses, all!
I’m looking at the 2018 TRD Sport with the crew cab and the short bed.
As quite a few of you said, since I love the manual I should just go for it. Keeping the RPMs up or downshifting to get some extra hp is a good plan. Anyone have Toyota add the TRD Performance intake and exhaust to their truck? I’m curious how much that helps.

As quite a few of you said, since I love the manual I should just go for it. Keeping the RPMs up or downshifting to get some extra hp is a good plan. Anyone have Toyota add the TRD Performance intake and exhaust to their truck? I’m curious how much that helps.

Most likely its gunna sound different and offer no hp on a dyno

No need to be trd loyal either... trd doesnt make intakes or exhausts.

Those add-on's are more so a personal preference. If you have the spare change they make you happy then go for it, just don't expect a race car when you get your Tacoma back. Haha.

Holding the rpm's where I want is exactly why I prefer a manual. From a few different things I've read, it seems that I get up steep grades at a lower rpm than the automatics do anyway,... who knows. I've never put much faith in the 0-60mph times or track times of manual vehicles, who knows if that guy has ever driven a manual? If they have, it was probably their first time ever in that particular vehicle. Besides, I don't drag race my Tacoma anyhow, but playing in the desert in a manual is the only way to go! [emoji16]

the 3.5 uses the same air filter as the Tundra 5.7......the stock intake provides plenty of air.

Back