Adding Amp to stock system

m3gumby

Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend of mine add an amp to aftermarket speakers he put in to get a bit more sound. I wired up the amp last night and got all of the wires & rca's run.

My question - I know he will need a LOC which he got (we are doing 4 channels for all the door speakers minus the tweets.)

When I splice the speaker wires to the LOC to RCA's, will I just need to run RCA's back to the amp and that would run the speakers? I am having the hardest time picturing everything in my head. Or would I need to splice the speaker wires twice, and run the LOC and tie in speaker wire back to the amp?

You need two 2 channel LOCs or a single 4 channel LOC which is more rare. Connect the (radio side) of your OEM speaker wires to the LOC. Between your 2 LOCs you have, you should have a total of 8 wires or 4 sets... One set for each speaker channel (not including tweeters). From there you will have RCAs plug into the LOCs 4 outputs (2 on each loc) and run them to your amp. This is now your "input" for sound. You also need to connect your fused high gauge power and ground, and a remote turn on wire (to the radios accessory wire). Then on the amp, you have "outputs" for regular speaker wire. You will again run 8 wires (4 pairs)... 2 to each speaker for + and -

Now your all set. Although I highly recommend NOT using a standard LOC for this type of installation. And processor such as the LC6i from Audio Control will dramatically improve audio quality by giving a true line output conversion of your OEM speaker signal. Slightly more expensive, but still easy to install, and will make it worth installing the amp and speakers. Otherwise, IMO, the amp and speakers will do hardly any good with regular shelf bought LOCs.

Hopefully this helps.

This might also give a better visual. The blue wires in the picture represents RCAs. It shows only 2 lines but its actually 2 pairs of rcas (total of 4 plugs)

MCSLOCWiringDiagram.jpg

Back