Adding locks to rear bed cubbies

akaryanreynolds

Master Debator
I got tired of the door on my in bed cubbies coming off while offroading so I put some lock on them

You can find these locks at Lowes or Homedepot. All you need to do is unscrew the tabbed stock nobs and drill out the hole a little and bammmmm locking inbed cubby doors!!

P4030128_zps179dc2a0.jpg

P4030129_zps53ea3a9a.jpg

I did mine just a tad different a few weeks ago, 2 locks 1 key. Went to Home Depot and got the cam locks and made sure they had matching key numbers. I had thought to do all four but was hard to find 2 with matching key numbers. Didn't feel like paying a locksmith to match 2 more locks to 1 key.

Attachments

• S1050369.jpg
    S1050369.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 42
  • S1050370.jpg
    S1050370.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 43
I did mine just a tad different a few weeks ago, 2 locks 1 key. Went to Home Depot and got the cam locks and made sure they had matching key numbers. I had thought to do all four but was hard to find 2 with matching key numbers. Didn't feel like paying a locksmith to match 2 more locks to 1 key.

Nicely done! How easy was the installation? Did the lock come with a rubber grommet or o-ring to seal the hole?

Nicely done! How easy was the installation? Did the lock come with a rubber grommet or o-ring to seal the hole?

Installation was quite easy 1st I took out boxes with I believe a T6 hex bit and brought them inside to drill out the hole for the lock. I started with a 1/4" Spade Bit & worked up to a 3/4" one and then lightly filed away remaining plastic for a snug fit. Installing the lock I used the 1-1/4" straight cam which was all the length I needed. Then on the box I marked where the cam hit the inside and drilled a hole big enough to fit my jigsaw blade in. Using the jigsaw I made the slot for the cam. Then reinstalled boxes and was done.

There was no rubber grommet or o-ring just a steel trim collar on the outside. I included pics of what I bought and the construction of the cam lock. Cost was I believe $4.95 a lock at Home Depot and on the back of the package was a Key # which I matched to another cam lock so I only had to use 1 key for either lock. Since the boxes had rain holes drilled in the bottom of them I saw no point in sealing the cam lock with a rubber grommet. Using WD-40 or PB blaster periodically on the locks will keep them from rusting up and free during winter.

Those doors aren't that strong and anyone could take a crowbar and break them but it will keep most people from looking in them out of curiosity. I don't keep anything worth value in them as it is (bungee cords). I took my hold downs from the top rails and put them under the back seat storage so they wouldn't walk away and I can use them when needed. Bungee cords I can replace fairly cheap those top rail hold downs cost a little more to replace.

Attachments

• Cam Locks_0001.jpg
    Cam Locks_0001.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Cam Locks.jpg
    Cam Locks.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 78
Just a thought with this, what about fabbing a sturdy door to actually make this useful? I keep straps and bungee's in them, nothing that important but could be a useful mod.

That probably wouldn't be to difficult. Just use an existing one as a template and fab 2 just like it out of steel. A metal shop could probably do it pretty easy. I don't have the tools to do so. I actually know a guy that works with stainless, but believe he does commercial only. Next time I see him I'll run it by him and see what he'd quote. He does all the metal work where I work at.

New doors would be nice but can't you unbolt them with the door on and take the whole thing out so wouldn't it be a little over kill for metal door since you could still steal them.

New doors would be nice but can't you unbolt them with the door on and take the whole thing out so wouldn't it be a little over kill for metal door since you could still steal them.

That's true you could but how many thieves do you know carry a T6 hex screwbit around looking to steal Tacoma cubbies? Now if you made the door long & wide enough to cover those screws up you would be set.

That's true you could but how many thieves do you know carry a T6 hex screwbit around looking to steal Tacoma cubbies? Now if you made the door long & wide enough to cover those screws up you would be set.

I agree if you make the door long and wide to cover the screws but but I think the metal door is over kill just put locks on the plastic doors it will keep people out of them if they want in bad enough not even the metal door is gonna stop them

I agree if you make the door long and wide to cover the screws but but I think the metal door is over kill just put locks on the plastic doors it will keep people out of them if they want in bad enough not even the metal door is gonna stop them

I agree, that's why I just put a lock on the plastic doors. No one has messed with mine so I'm not very worried about it. Having steel doors someone may think there is something really valuable stored there. I don't think many people know there are cubbies in the bed of a Tacoma, I didn't until I bought mine. My '00 PreRunner didn't have them.

I don't even have locks on mine I only keep a tow strap in one an some ratchet straps on the other. My tailgate locks so I haven't worried about it

You must have a Tonneau Cover on yours then, I have an open bed. Only thing I keep in mine are bungee cords. I might keep more in them if out at a campsite. But will still lock em down.

Yea I have a soft tonneau I also have a flush mount tool box for big items
If I had a tonneau I wouldn't worry about it then, but I do move people at times so keep my bed open. Plus going to the drive in, rocks! I wouldn't mind a camper shell. I might get one in the future. Had one on my Hi-Lux.

I haven't decided yet what route I want to go, hard camper or collapsible. When I get to that point I'll decide after checking them out. For now I have other mods to do first. Soon to get my lift & level done.

Back