Aftermarket muffler

OffroadTaco4x4

So right now my truck has no muffler (I got curious and bored) so I like the sound but it is just too loud for long trips I take, so I just want to buy an aftermarket muffler because I think cat backs are over rated (we all have our opinions) well I was looking at a 14in magnaflow but I'm not sure about the tone. I want to find a muffler that is pretty loud all through the rpm range so you can hear it idle plus I want it to have kind of a deep growl, any ideas

Its gonna be hard to get the range you are looking for without having an annoying drone at hwy speeds. Iv'e done a lot of researching before I got my Borla, and most mufflers are very quiet or close to stock at idle until you are on the throttle. Flowmaster will give you the growl you want at idle, but it will be a little obnoxious like the straight you already have. Magnaflow will give you a good tone all the way through, but it wont be menacing at idle.

My Borla is the same way, its really quiet at idle but very bassy on the throttle, but that's what I was looking for. Id' check out as many youtube videos as you can. There are a lot out there with any set up imaginable. I've been meaning to make a video myself....but I've been lazy.

I have a Flowmaster 10 series on now and it's pretty loud. I had a 40 series before that which was not as loud but a deeper tone. The louder it is the raspier and more high pitched it will be. This video kind of sucks but gives you an idea. It is much deeper in person.

http://youtu.be/8HmpGwVcCdU

Last edited:
I still say TRD exhaust. Yeah catbacks are overrated but you know it will fit and it sounds exactly how you want it to. Flowmasters sound like crap on anything.

Yeah I want to stay away from fm but I would get the Trd I really like it but I just don't have the money right now, that's why I'm just looking at mufflers

Do you have to have it now or can you put away money?

Another option is Aero Turbine mufflers. I have no idea on sizing though.

Well the reason I'm looking into it right now is because me and my buddy are about to take a 7 hour trip but on the highway the cab drone isn't that bad I mean we are young so it doesn't bother us that much, I think I might just wait and save for the Trd, how much did you get yours for?

Do you have to have it now or can you put away money?

Another option is Aero Turbine mufflers. I have no idea on sizing though.

The Aeroturbines sound good on Tacomas. I didn't know they had sizes? I thought it was just the regular version or the XL with the resonator.

Hmm I might just go with that, another thing I like is my exhaust dumping before the rear axle, I think the Trd might just be to expensive for me right now, but that is something I want in the future. I just need a quick fox right now, how would this muffler compare to the 14in magnaflow

Hmm I might just go with that, another thing I like is my exhaust dumping before the rear axle, I think the Trd might just be to expensive for me right now, but that is something I want in the future. I just need a quick fox right now, how would this muffler compare to the 14in magnaflow

I can't say how it compares to a Magnaflow, but the Aeroturbines are pretty loud. If you want a little quieter go with the resonated version. Also, my exhaust actually got more quiet after I dumped it under the bed. You may run into inspection issues too depending on where you live. Just something to think about.

Yeah I want it to be loud, as for inspections I'm not sure I'm in Tennessee and my truck is sitting in a body shop right now with out a muffler and the insurance people inspected it and no one has said a thing to me yet.

The Aero Turbines are loud outside but according to some videos, not bad inside. For 100 clams, that may be the way for me to go until I get a TRD.

Back