Air filter replacement...

Ashton391

Hey everyone,
I just replaced the air filter with a k&n, when I took out the old factory one there is another filter like thing behind it, I couldn't get it out with the tools I had..
Does anyone know the purpose of it, can it be removed? What is it for?
Thanks for any input you have.

That's a secondary charcoal filter. If you're interested in removing it, look up EGR delete and do some research.

I asked the same thing at the local Toyota dealer, and was told it is not really a filter, per se, but a design to smooth out the air turbulence in the air box. Whether that is true or not, they said it was not removable for cleaning. The only way it could be replaced is to replace the entire air box which he said was about $600-$700. Maybe someone on here can shed some light on the truth of what I was told.

I would not mess with the stock air box and filter. My 2002 Tundra SR5 only had minor improvements with the k&n drop-in filter. I'm currently running the stock filter and air box in my 2009 Tacoma.

Seems like lots of my son's friends tuner imports are having problems with "check engine" lights??? Might be due to aftermarket mods.?? I'd only use a Toyota TRD developed intake.... just my 2 cents.

Hey everyone,
I just replaced the air filter with a k&n, when I took out the old factory one there is another filter like thing behind it, I couldn't get it out with the tools I had..
Does anyone know the purpose of it, can it be removed? What is it for?
Thanks for any input you have.
Yea don't mess with the air box. I'd take extra protection for my engine than just 2-3 extra hp. Just drop the k&n in the intake and call it a day.

leave the charcoal dealy alone...its not gunna do much.

as for the air filter, that is NOT the bottleneck unless its caked in concrete.
The stock intake has been dynoed with stock filter...........no filter........no filter plus the charcoal delete............

ZERO gains.

the bottleneck is the actual intake. It has noise defeating measures in the form of baffles, or chambers (use ur own terms), and thats the main reason aftermarket intakes are louder and provide MINOR.............MINOR gains usually.

clean ur MAF sensor regularly with that K&N

Back