Amateur Radio Installs

Just purchased a 202 Tacoma 4x4 offroad.

Looking suggestions, examples, or pictures of amateur radio installs.

I want to install a radio in the truck.

What kind of radio are you installing or have you made it that far yet? I have a yaesu 7900 with a separation kit. The radio is under the passenger seat and the face is at the wireless charging pad. I also installed an MFJ external speaker facing the driver seat but behind the panel under the steering wheel.

Truck is a 2020 Tacoma 4x4 offroad.
Will be installing a Yeasu FT8800.
This radio was removed from my last truck.

I would like to see pictures of the yaesu 7900 install, particularly the power wire routing through the firewall, and the head mounting.
thx

There is a rubber grommet on the passenger side if you peel the carpet back that you can poke a small hole through to run positive and negative ground. If you’re wanting to do the separation kit, it will be a much cleaner and easier install. There is a slit in the carpet under the seat that I brought the power and antenna wire through. I will try to get some pics shortly of everything. I put some double sided 3M foam tape on top of the face that sticks to the top part of the cubby hole where the charging pad is.

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

Hope this helps, Mike. I also included a pic of the comet 2m/70cm antenna with the hinge mount. Great antenna and it doesn’t look tacky in my opinion. 73!

The pictures are really helpful. Is the antenna lip mount on the hood? I was thinking of a mag mount on the rood.
Thank you very much.
Call N6XRF, located in Thousand oaks California
73's

Yes it’s lip mounted on the hood. It allows pivot left to right as well as front to back so it can be mounted on a horizontal or vertical lip while maintaining a vertical antenna.

I pulled out the 7900 today and swapped it with an Icom 4100. Put the face on the top of the dash so the gps would lock good. Seems like a good little rig.
The radio was a complete unplug and plug into the wiring under the seat I had from the yaesu aside from the separation cable which the 4100 came with.
IMG_1581891553.438617.jpgIMG_1581891610.080797.jpg

I like the install, I like it on top of the dash verses below. How did you attach the radio head to the hash?
If this is a Dstar radio, I think I installed one in my wife's Miata, I have the D880 in my 99 Miata.
Going to add and OEM style Rood rack to the 2020 Tacoma to mount the antenna. After that is installed, I will mount the radio

Mike, it is D-Star and I used the same 3M double sided adhesive foam like tape that I used for the yaesu unit I had. That stuff is super sticky and very thin but with a little force you can get it unstuck and it not leave behind any goo. No more than those little faceplates weigh it really works well. The only reason I didn’t like the yaesu on the dash was because the mic plugged into it vs the Icom which plugs into the radio itself that’s under the seat. I still need to get the 8ft mic extension but it works for now

Is the Yeasu FT8800 suppose to be a badass? I haven't kept up with stereo's like I have done in the past. Is it a Top of the Line radio?

We are not talking about stereos. We are talking amateur or “ham” radio for short. It is a hobby as well as a means of communication in disaster or emergency situations when a cell phone could potentially not work. I have been licensed since 2004 and we had a tornado come through in 2011 and cell phones were down. “When all else fails, radio”.

We are not talking about stereos. We are talking amateur or “ham” radio for short. It is a hobby as well as a means of communication in disaster or emergency situations when a cell phone could potentially not work. I have been licensed since 2004 and we had a tornado come through in 2011 and cell phones were down. “When all else fails, radio”.
wow, I feel like an asso_O

Nah man, a lot of folks these days have no idea about it. Some think it’s CB radio, others think your some kind of police officer lol. I encourage everyone to research it and study up for a license. It’s pretty easy to get licensed to operate. And you’re not just limited to communicating locally. With HF you can talk across the world if you have the right equipment and antenna. And everyone always says, “well I can just pick up the phone and call across the world”. Yeah you can, but unlike your phone signal traveling through wires, mines going through the air radio to radio with nothing in between. The world of RF is almost like magic

Nah man, a lot of folks these days have no idea about it. Some think it’s CB radio, others think your some kind of police officer lol. I encourage everyone to research it and study up for a license. It’s pretty easy to get licensed to operate. And you’re not just limited to communicating locally. With HF you can talk across the world if you have the right equipment and antenna. And everyone always says, “well I can just pick up the phone and call across the world”. Yeah you can, but unlike your phone signal traveling through wires, mines going through the air radio to radio with nothing in between. The world of RF is almost like magic

I’ve always thought it was neat I have a friend that was all in to it a few years ago he still has his stuff but I think he has slacked off abit. Like you said it will work when nothing else does.

I’ve always thought it was neat I have a friend that was all in to it a few years ago he still has his stuff but I think he has slacked off abit. Like you said it will work when nothing else does.

Honestly, I think just about everyone slacks off with it at some point. My dad has been licensed since 1980 and he took a 5-10 year break. I am guilty of taking a break as well. It is a fun hobby though. Especially if you like to talk a lot lol

What is the best handheld that can reach out miles if you are in the deep forest and then need help? I don't want to be in a situation where I say "damn I should have bought that " " radio.

NOT at all.
Asking questions was the right thing to do, and how we all learn.
I knew, but I have a radio license, and have had a radio in my pickups for the past 20 years, but it isn't common to. I have a Tad M10, used to have an M8 long ago, and often carry an aviation band Icom portable to listen to the helicopters, planes, and tower to. In my flight bag on every flight is also a portable radio and gps. When snowmobiling in the mountains I carry a Garmin Inreach for emergencies, and to talk to the people I ride with I have a Baofeng radio.

Back