Another frame rot issue?

Well it’s at the stealership now... I’m supposed to pick it up tomorrow. I’m just concerned that they will want me to sign a waiver covering their ass against frame replacement Incase the undercoating doesn’t hold.
Once they coat the frame if it does not replaced. They are done with it and they will not replace after that if you have rot. They have a whole list of criteria from corp. that they use to determine if frame gets replaced or coated. It is not up tp the dealer.

I asked my dealer if they do any rust proofing or apply a rust inhibitor on their truck frames. Answer i got was...toyota claims they have already done their part so your vehicle doesn't need any further treatment unless specified by toyota themselves. My dealer doesn't do any rust proofing, said you can contact a shop down the road, they undercoat vehicles. When i got home with the new truck this summer i gave it a once over. Seeing only black chassis paint throughout the frame, I took it upon myself to get 1/2 dozen aerosol cans of rp-342, and a good hazmat suit, and have at it. Glad I did, its already been on salty roads here the last 2 months. I've seen a friends 2019 trd and its already showing surface rust areas along the welds. I for one don't plan on relying on toyota hoping to a get a new frame in several years.

Once they coat the frame if it does not replaced. They are done with it and they will not replace after that if you have rot. They have a whole list of criteria from corp. that they use to determine if frame gets replaced or coated. It is not up tp the dealer.

They did that with my 03 tundra thankfully i washed and undercoated all the time

My 2001 tundra frame was inspected at least 10 years,and 90k miles after i bought it under toyotas tsb for a multi frame rust inspection. They were surprised how good it looked, and even asked me what i did that it was still like new. At any rate the replaced the rear tire carrier member and metal gas tank straps as part of the tsb. I was shown the old ones, they were still like new.
On another note, some types of undercoating is bad, it will cause frame rot, plus make it very difficult if any mechanical work needs to done.

Back