Any ideas on Rustproofing new Tacoma?

IMSICK

Hi folks,

I planning on buying a new 2014 very soon. Any good ideas for rustproofing?
Do those sprays really work? :)

This is a great topic I just got a tacoma 2014. Is there anyway I can do rust proofing on my own? Like anyone have a DIY idea??

They don't do it anymore,I had cars and trucks in the 70s,80s,early 90s,then they all did away with it,vehicles were all rusting faster than those not rust proofed,just rode quieter on gravel roads!!!!Waste of money,would need to be done at factory!!once humidity and moisture gets in there its to late!rust from inside out,rusty Jones and all those other companies went out of business ,I used to drill doors panels and undercoat as a detailer in early 80s at GMC truck dealership,Big Rigs to Pickups and Caberellos!like an El Camino,GMC version!just hit with oil as others have said!safer!

I can't remember where I read this, but someone recommended using the same stuff they use on the bed linings. The type that you scuff up the paint on the inside of the bed and then just paint it on using a brush or a roller. If you live in a Northern part of the U.S. or Canada, the Krown method seems to be very popular. Good luck to you.

From all the research I have done, Oil soaking the frame seems to be ones best bet.

No where did I find any company that would give a guarantee on there product, unless it was one of those totally ridiculous guarantees !

Fluid Film looked interesting, but I couldn't find ANY one/company that had used it on a vehicle in the "Rust Belt" for over a year. A year doesn't tell you a dam thing. You need long term exposure with a product to be able to say it might be good product to try.

rustproofing

I did a search on cosmoline & it is still around & has some updates & even available in spray cans. Have had firearms coated with the stuff since the 1940's that remain rust free. they have some newer products that are high on my list of consideration for my new tacoma

From all the research I have done, Oil soaking the frame seems to be ones best bet.

No where did I find any company that would give a guarantee on there product, unless it was one of those totally ridiculous guarantees !

Fluid Film looked interesting, but I couldn't find ANY one/company that had used it on a vehicle in the "Rust Belt" for over a year. A year doesn't tell you a dam thing. You need long term exposure with a product to be able to say it might be good product to try.
i've 'sorta' seen some pics from an FF supporter located in Chicago on his Gen2 rig

he says he applies it perhaps upto twice a year

emphasis on 'sorta' seen pics...

Fluid film is fine, but you have to keep up with reapplying it often as its lanolin based that will wash away if your in an area that gets plenty of rain and snow. I used it on my tundra but not often enough. It still had lots of surface rust on its chassis. I did my tacoma with cosmoline which is holding up well from 2 1/2 years that it was last done. Cosmoline is a great choice for a new vehicle as your starting with a clean rust free chassis.

Guys.......you have resurrected a 9 yo thread.

Somehow, I think the original poster has moved forward.

Fluid film is fine, but you have to keep up with reapplying it often as its lanolin based that will wash away if your in an area that gets plenty of rain and snow. I used it on my tundra but not often enough. It still had lots of surface rust on its chassis. I did my tacoma with cosmoline which is holding up well from 2 1/2 years that it was last done. Cosmoline is a great choice for a new vehicle as your starting with a clean rust free chassis.
i had stuff sprayed on my rig pretty well one October a year or two back
was coming back from Wisconsin and when i hit the Iowa border in Dubuque i hit rain nonstop, sometimes HEAVY i could not see the road well.

this rain lasted until Des Moines when the rain cleared... 200 miles!
looked at my truck frame back in the splash areas and it was stripped dry of the spray i had just done

Guys.......you have resurrected a 9 yo thread.

Somehow, I think the original poster has moved forward.
i wish i woulda heard of any of this stuff 9 yrs ago!
all i knew was the rubbery undercoating stuff and thought it was GOLD...

i had stuff sprayed on my rig pretty well one October a year or two back
was coming back from Wisconsin and when i hit the Iowa border in Dubuque i hit rain nonstop, sometimes HEAVY i could not see the road well.

this rain lasted until Des Moines when the rain cleared... 200 miles!
looked at my truck frame back in the splash areas and it was stripped dry of the spray i had just done
I experienced the same using fluid flim on my tundra. It just wasn't what i wanted to begin that all over again for my tacoma. Last 2 winters towing my trailer and sled north in terrible conditions, i figured i'd have some serious rework with the cosmoline this summer. It wasn't the case, just some 5 minute touchup's around the rear leafs.

I experienced the same using fluid flim on my tundra. It just wasn't what i wanted to begin that all over again for my tacoma. Last 2 winters towing my trailer and sled north in terrible conditions, i figured i'd have some serious rework with the cosmoline this summer. It wasn't the case, just some 5 minute touchup's around the rear leafs.
nothing worn off near the exhaust area that gets hot and stays hot?
that was a bad spot on mine, right near the cat behind the rubbery tar coating
i think i found it in time and put quality paint onit so far no peeling or lifting after a few years

Back