Argh!

crazyframerdude

My ‘14 Trd off-road crapped out on me this morning!

Got up at 4 to leave for work , backed up and turned to leave my driveway and she died, now turns over but won’t start , check engine light , at oil temp light , battery light and oil light stay on while it’s turning over, plugged in my diagnostic comp and no codes? Anybody have any idea at all?

My ‘14 Trd off-road crapped out on me this morning!

Got up at 4 to leave for work , backed up and turned to leave my driveway and she died, now turns over but won’t start , check engine light , at oil temp light , battery light and oil light stay on while it’s turning over, plugged in my diagnostic comp and no codes? Anybody have any idea at all?
Out of gas?

Funny though cause it’s really not a dumb question [emoji12], just sent it off on the triple a tow truck so I guess I’ll find out tomorrow

Yeah, it’s weird to cause it will fire and sputter but never achieved full ignition, maybe the in tank filter is plugged? Or the pump is just not pushing enough? I would think that would throw a code though wouldn’t it?

Yeah, it’s weird to cause it will fire and sputter but never achieved full ignition, maybe the in tank filter is plugged? Or the pump is just not pushing enough? I would think that would throw a code though wouldn’t it?
How many miles are on it?

If you get a can of starting fluid & spray some into air intake, if it starts up & sounds normal for a few seconds (until starting fluid has been burnt & engine dies) It's almost 100% for sure going to be a fuel delivery problem (fuel pump, clogged filter,etc) if the starting fluid makes no difference then you may have a bigger issue like a timing belt/chain (where applicable) stretching (jumping a tooth) or breaking can cause this condition..

Keep in mind for diagnosis, the fuel pump does not prime by turning the key to "on". The fuel pump will only come on after the system sees the crank turning.

needs to see an rpm. "NE signal" is CPS

Is the noise with key "on" possibly the evap pump and intercooler pump?

63Ol7u.jpg
YsQl1Z.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the same until i replaced fuel pump with a tech, and asked if i should let the new pump prime... tech said it wont prime without the engine cranking, so i bumped the key a cpl times.
Gadget has also said the same over the years.

Crazy, glad I have a warranty still, just let Toyota scratch their heads on this one, give me a distributor cap and a 4bbl and I’m good , too much computer stuff now a days

I guess it's a 2nd/3rd gen thing, if I turn key to "on" position you clearly hear the pump until the fuel rail is charged/pressurized, then cuts out as should...

That’s what I’m used to also. I assumed all vehicles did the same.

Back