Auto LSD switch?

johng813

My 08 Trd sport double cab Tacoma has a LSD but no switch in the cab to activate or deactivate it? I know it defiantly has a limited slip because of the sticker on the rear diff. I think it's an auto LSD but I'm not too sure how that works. Can someone please explain this to me?

Only the off road models have the switch for an electronic locking rear diff.. The sport models like you have with the limited slip work completely different than the locker...

Don't know about the 08's or anything before the 12's for that matter, but my 13 sport has auto LSD on it, it is not an actual limited slip differential, the limited slip differential is stimulated through the brakes electronically, if one wheel spins, the computer applies that brake...

And how do you turn off traction control. There are literally no switches for that in my truck, besides the fog light switch and rear bed outlet switch.

Hold the Trac control switch long enough for the dash lights to confirm that it's off. It works alright, but not completely. Proved it going uphill on a dusty road when I last went squirrel hunting. Darn thing kicked on near the top of the hill while keeping low speed

Last edited:
This is on my 13 sport, not sure if it's the same for you...

Push the bottom left button once
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1463075590.385497.jpg

This comes on in the dash
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1463075641.720503.jpg

If you push and hold the same button for 4-5 seconds, this comes on it the dash, doing this turns everything off, including the auto LSD
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1463075708.358709.jpg

I literally do not have a traction control switch. There's nothing there, but my diff is defiantly limited slip.

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1463092485.548731.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1463092501.802605.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1463092512.047122.jpg

See guys there's no switch to turn on the LSD. But yet I still have a LSD on my rear diff? Again this is an 08 TRD sport Tacoma.

View attachment 8931View attachment 8932View attachment 8933

See guys there's no switch to turn on the LSD. But yet I still have a LSD on my rear diff? Again this is an 08 TRD sport Tacoma.

You have an actual limited slip differential. There are mechanical clutches inside that lock, or nearly so, the differential action when you have wheel spin. The clutches work automatically and there is no electrical component to them to turn on and off.

The rest of us have open rear with a traction control system that applies the brake on the side that is spinning to send torque to the opposite side. The switch on the dash is to turn it on and off.

What we can't understand is why Toyo calls it an LSD when it is NOT and why there are apparently 3 modes of operation. From what I can tell there is "normal" which should involve some level of "limited slip", "LSD On" which involves some other level of limited slip, and "off" which may or may not mean the system is truly off.

Now, as smart as all of that may sound, let me be clear, I have no ****ing idea what the difference is. I have a 4.0 Pre-Runner auto '15 with the dash switch. With an empty bed and on a wet road from a dead stop I can spin the tires equally regardless of what light is displayed on the dash. I was determined to figure all of this out one night in a parking lot and I finally gave up. No matter how I set the button, no matter what was displayed on the dash, there seemed to be no difference in the amount of wheel spin.

On normal cars with traction control, you can feel the breaks modulate when the tires spin. When you turn the TC off, you no longer feel the breaks thumping away. On my Taco, I have no idea what it is or is supposed to be doing.

You have an actual limited slip differential. There are mechanical clutches inside that lock, or nearly so, the differential action when you have wheel spin. The clutches work automatically and there is no electrical component to them to turn on and off.

The rest of us have open rear with a traction control system that applies the brake on the side that is spinning to send torque to the opposite side. The switch on the dash is to turn it on and off.

What we can't understand is why Toyo calls it an LSD when it is NOT and why there are apparently 3 modes of operation. From what I can tell there is "normal" which should involve some level of "limited slip", "LSD On" which involves some other level of limited slip, and "off" which may or may not mean the system is truly off.

Now, as smart as all of that may sound, let me be clear, I have no ****ing idea what the difference is. I have a 4.0 Pre-Runner auto '15 with the dash switch. With an empty bed and on a wet road from a dead stop I can spin the tires equally regardless of what light is displayed on the dash. I was determined to figure all of this out one night in a parking lot and I finally gave up. No matter how I set the button, no matter what was displayed on the dash, there seemed to be no difference in the amount of wheel spin.

On normal cars with traction control, you can feel the breaks modulate when the tires spin. When you turn the TC off, you no longer feel the breaks thumping away. On my Taco, I have no idea what it is or is supposed to be doing.
Thanks man, you defiantly answered my question! Much thanks!

Back