Average maintenance costs for 2nd generation Tacoma

tacomalimited

2018 dcsb mgm limited 4x4
I was always told that repair costs for imports cost a lot more then domestic. I realize the Tacoma is made in the U.S.A.,but it's still considered an import. Just wondering what I can expect to pay for maintenance once my warranty expires, as opposed to the Chevy I traded in for it.

Last edited:
Are parts a lot more? I've always owned domestic, so I have no clue. Probably should have researched further before I bought, but, to late now I guess! lol!

I had a Ford before but i don't remember what I used to pay for parts. OEM parts will be pricey but aftermarket should be fine. Rockauto is a good place to check prices on parts you maybe change more than others.

Regular maintenance is the same with any vehicle....ie: plugs, air filter, oil, lube, etc....
Parts depends on the part. Dealer only parts will cost more for both domestic & import. Example my bosses 2009 Ford Expedition needed a fuel pump....$1500 at the stealership, he ended up paying $1000 at a shop installed. Taco's I believe run about the same installed.

It's not the parts that kill you its the labor......
I recently installed a reese hitch for $119. I saved the labor cost took 1 hr by myself.
Cheapest place that would of done it was U-haul for parts $149 + labor total $250
Stealership a whopping part $300 + labor total $500

Last edited:
Regular maintenance is the same with any vehicle....ie: plugs, air filter, oil, lube, etc....
Parts depends on the part. Dealer only parts will cost more for both domestic & import. Example my bosses 2009 Ford Expedition needed a fuel pump....$1500 at the stealership, he ended up paying $1000 at a shop installed. Taco's I believe run about the same installed.

It's not the parts that kill you its the labor......

$1000 for a fuel pump!!! Wow!!!! I guess I've been lucky with my vehicles so far, the last time I replaced a fuel pump was about 15 years ago and it was about $400 if I remember, I know it wasn't $1000!!! Usually I trade in before that stuff starts to go, I was planning on keeping this one though!

Im with whipper. Rockauto.com has anything you'll need for the most part and their prices are good. I can say way cheaper than autozone or advance.

$1000 for a fuel pump!!! Wow!!!! I guess I've been lucky with my vehicles so far, the last time I replaced a fuel pump was about 15 years ago and it was about $400 if I remember, I know it wasn't $1000!!! Usually I trade in before that stuff starts to go, I was planning on keeping this one though!

Yep....back in the day I could get a Chevy mechanical fuel pump for my Chevelle for about $30 and install myself in about 15 mins.
Today most of the cost is labor on newer vehicles. You have to drop the tank to replace. Bossman spent $600 in labor alone. :blink:

Anything man made will go out eventually, it's the luck of the draw as to just when it fails.
I think I need to go back to doing mechanics. What's the cost of a tune up these days? I just found this coupon at Firestone. All that is, is spark plugs and flush of the fuel lines. $50 off so I'm guessing about $200. You can do the same thing for about $25 bucks.

media.jsp

Yep....back in the day I could get a Chevy mechanical fuel pump for my Chevelle for about $30 and install myself in about 15 mins.
Today most of the cost is labor on newer vehicles. You have to drop the tank to replace. Bossman spent $600 in labor alone. :blink:

Anything man made will go out eventually, it's the luck of the draw as to just when it fails.
I think I need to go back to doing mechanics. What's the cost of a tune up these days? I just found this coupon at Firestone. All that is, is spark plugs and flush of the fuel lines. $50 off so I'm guessing about $200. You can do the same thing for about $25 bucks.

media.jsp

That's crazy! Wonder what it costs on a tacoma.

Fuel pump or tune up?

I did my own tune up. Probable did more than they would. Plugs ran about $18 at Napa and then a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Cleaned the MAF sensor, air filter, a bottle of Heet to get rid of any condensation in the tank. Soon I'll clean out the throttle body. Just that little bit gave me 3 mpg better mileage. I also changed out all the gear oils & engine oil, did a lube on the u-joints. I also checked all my levels....brake fluid, anti-freeze, power steering, a/c pressure. All the fun stuff. :thumbsup:

wonder what the difference is between a Iridium spark plug and an ordinary spark plug...to me a spark plug is a spark plug!! lol :laughing:

I work at an auto parts store and parts are usually a little more but we never have them in stock. Even toyota always has to order everything in.

I work at an auto parts store and parts are usually a little more but we never have them in stock. Even toyota always has to order everything in.

Unless you have a warehouse behind you at your parts store the size of Willey warehouse http://www.deseretnews.com/article/574966/Big-Willey-warehouse-is-largest-in-US.html?pg=all it would be impossible to stock every single auto part for every single car ever made. However, I bet you do have a warehouse you call to get your parts from. And if they don't have it then it's ordered.
Toyota is the same way they have some parts in stock if they don't, they order it from various warehouses in the US, Canada, Mexico or Japan.

I have never had any problem finding parts for my '06 which for the Tacoma most are interchangeable for the second gen '05~'13 and Tundra. If it has to be ordered it's usually a 1~3 day wait.

Parts are a little more expensive but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and I can assure you if you take care of your truck it will take care of you for a long time!!

Back