BAD STARTER?? 2005 Tacoma

LadyLynZ

I am trying to figure out if the problem is in my starter, I usually try to do most of the work on my truck myself but from what I have seen and heard so far this job may be too much for little ole me.

When I turn the ignition over to crank her up, it sounds as if the ignition cranks in slow motion. Lights and all battery powered equipment turns on without delay so I am assuming it is not a bad battery or alternator issue. But as the days progress the delay seems to struggle more and more with every start of the engine. I would hate to be somewhere and finally it just stop cranking up altogether so I want to get to work on it ASAP. But I am unsure of where to start? If it is the starter should I replace the entire starter motor?

I would get the battery, alternator and starter tested. Start with the battery since it is the easiest. If it is the original battery it is probably on its way out.

Thanks.

I'll def get it tested, that I can actually change myself which would be much more ideal then having to change out the starter :)

Also check for build up on the battery terminals.

I just changed both my original ones on my '06 Taco with after-market red & black ones due to corrosion starting to build up. Didn't even bother with cleaning them. Cleaned the post put the treated pads down (red & green) tightened the terminals and then added Vaseline after I was done to help prevent corrosion. I have a new battery so didn't want to lose any life in it. But yeah start at battery, check your cables, have battery tested for bad cell. Then on to alternator and do same, then to your starter. Most parts stores will give a free test. Haven't dealt with Toyota Starters before, it could be your solenoid on the starter as well. If you have a Haynes manual or Chilton's it should give you a troubleshooting guide on how to find the problem and repair. From my experience in what you describe sounds like the starter motor. Good Luck!

I would check the battery first and also the cables they could be full of corrosion. Also check where your starter is hooked up and make sure everything is secure. But most likely replace the battery for sure.

Back