Bed/Roof top tents!

Isaac s

I would like a good recommendations? On a great rooftop/ bed rack mounted tent. Preferably a bed mounted tent. Pictures are always a plus.

I would like a good recommendations? On a great rooftop/ bed rack mounted tent. Preferably a bed mounted tent. Pictures are always a plus.
So you are looking for a tent and not a bed rack is that correct?

If so, what is your budget? Here are some rough numbers
Smittybilt 800 - 1000
Tepui 900 -1500+
Arb 1400 - 1600
Cvt 1500 - 2000+
Then you have hard shells talking 3000+ unless u find a good used one

Ive owned an arb Simpson iii, it worked great no complaints. Sold it and bought an arb swag tent 130lbs lighter[emoji28] makes all the difference when you are wheelin! Needless to say everyone has their build purpose. From a weight perspective i think tepui has the lightest at 60lbs or 80lbs something like that, but i dnt know how that would feel in high winds... i put mine through storms, weather, freezing temps, but no snow and i can tell you when the wind hits you are going to hear and feel it loud and clear!

Last edited:
So you are looking for a tent and not a bed rack is that correct?

If so, what is your budget? Here are some rough numbers
Smittybilt 800 - 1000
Tepui 900 -1500+
Arb 1400 - 1600
Cvt 1500 - 2000+
Then you have hard shells talking 3000+ unless u find a good used one

Ive owned an arb Simpson iii, it worked great no complaints. Sold it and bought an arb swag tent 130lbs lighter[emoji28] makes all the difference when you are wheelin! Needless to say everyone has their build purpose. From a weight perspective i think tepui has the lightest at 60lbs or 80lbs something like that, but i dnt know how that would feel in high winds... i put mine through storms, weather, freezing temps, but no snow and i can tell you when the wind hits you are going to hear and feel it loud and clear!
I like all those prices all seem very doable. Most case price affects quality right? I don't need the best but prefer high end. I want it not to leak.

Cvt seem to be of good quality and fan favorite. Not sure where they are made. Arb, tepui, smitty, they are all made in chine with different qualities. There are also other brands such ikamper tony baroud, sloop imports if you want to check some variety
I like all those prices all seem very doable. Most case price affects quality right? I don't need the best but prefer high end. I want it not to leak.

I have the larger Smittybuilt and have no complaints. This is the second season using it with my wife and toddler. Endured multiple heavy downpours and wind with no leaks or equipment failure. After the last storm I noticed the canvas had absorbed some water so I sprayed it down with some Kiwi spray and it’s as good as new!

CVT are from Oregon I believe, but I couldn’t say whether they actually manufacture them here or not.
Also from Bend, Oregon, is FreeSpirit Recreation. They start at $1,500, and quality wise I would bet them against any of the high end guys. Looked at a few sub $2,000 tents at an event and was very surprised that the quality was so good in comparison. Now I just need to decide if I want a low profile rack, or just go ahead and get the leitner acs.

I got one from a newer company called Gold Dog Tents and I have been very happy with them! Got their Kaibab tent that came with the awning and annex room included for $1850. They are a veteran company based out of Arizona. Used it twice so far and have no complaints with them as of yet. I can post pictures if wanted...

Back