Best brush/grill guard?

Brendan

I got a 2013 tacoma and I'm looking at brush guards and can't find the type of reviews I want to see to give me specific input on some... Anyone have one? or knowledge on one? that's tough enough to push with or take a beating and not fold/push back into the grill? I'd also like to add some lighting to it as well..maybe 3 or 4 small led square jobs across the front... I guess any type can be modded with drilling? Yea? Nah? Hit me with some knowledge please n thanks.. Pics/links if ya got em..

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1374613834.607376.jpg
Whose truck is this? I snapped a pic because I liked the setup and can't find the post.. Who ever it is mentioned the make of it... Look familiar?

A real bumper will offer protection. All grill guards are pretty weak and will fold back causing more damage.

Last edited:
A real bumper will offer protection. All grill guards are pretty weak and will fold back causing more damage.

I have looked at some of the steel plate bumpers with the fog lights cut out, a bar on top of them, wench behind them and some D-rings on the front..bla bla bla... They're a little pricey though, and I'm not real sure that Im all too crazy about the look of them. But yea ive seen and read that they offer the most stability/protection cause they're bolted right to the frame in several spots...and they're deff bad ass yea, but there's only like 2 manufactures out there for em that I've found and I wouldn't want to do a mod like that till its older and more beat up. So the search continues...

For a little more money you could get a hybrid bumper or plate bumper and gain protection, a place to add a winch, and a more secure way to mount lights.

Take your time and think about what you want, whippersnapper is right the brush guards are just for looks and they will cause more damage when hit, I had a friend who got hit with one on his truck and it did more damage to his front end, he would have been better off not having one at all. Just more steel to push up and into the front end. But to each his own make yourself happy and I wish you the best of luck. By the way his brush guard looked badass before it got hit so Best of Luck to You.

I am new to this forum and glad to see it is so well populated. I just bought a 2013 Toyota Double Cab in Spruce Mica. I am in process of upgrading to heated, Katzkins leather seats, JVC audio system, remote locking tailgate, Elite hood struts and the Tuffy lock box. I've also put in Mud rive seat covers for Duncan the Wonder Dog. So, here's my question for the forum: I'm thinking about a heavy duty bumper having had winches on my work trucks as well as 1952 Dodge M37, 1958 Dodge Power Wagon, 1979 F-150 (custom PTO Hydraulic) and 1972 FJ40 (Hickey sidewinder). All of these vehicles were more than heavy duty enough to handle the extra weight. How well does the Tacoma handle the estra weight of a 150 pound bumper not to mention the weight of a good winch if I go that far. Right now, I'm looking to damage the deer before they damage me. Anyone care to share experience before/after in terms of mileage, handling, tire wear, strain on suspension, etc? My rig has 17" wheels and factory Bilstein shocks.
Thank you all in advance.

Best investment yet... Road Armor Bumpers are in a class of their own

I am new to this forum and glad to see it is so well populated. I just bought a 2013 Toyota Double Cab in Spruce Mica. I am in process of upgrading to heated, Katzkins leather seats, JVC audio system, remote locking tailgate, Elite hood struts and the Tuffy lock box. I've also put in Mud rive seat covers for Duncan the Wonder Dog. So, here's my question for the forum: I'm thinking about a heavy duty bumper having had winches on my work trucks as well as 1952 Dodge M37, 1958 Dodge Power Wagon, 1979 F-150 (custom PTO Hydraulic) and 1972 FJ40 (Hickey sidewinder). All of these vehicles were more than heavy duty enough to handle the extra weight. How well does the Tacoma handle the estra weight of a 150 pound bumper not to mention the weight of a good winch if I go that far. Right now, I'm looking to damage the deer before they damage me. Anyone care to share experience before/after in terms of mileage, handling, tire wear, strain on suspension, etc? My rig has 17" wheels and factory Bilstein shocks.
Thank you all in advance.

Best investment yet... Road Armor Bumpers are in a class of their own

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 94
As far as brish guards go (im a looks guy) i ueard some with 2 bolt on points vibrate at high speeds. The westin has 4 bolt on places and it supposedly does not vibrate. What is best for looks that wont vibrate? (I drive between 65-85 mph on the interstate and dont need a vibrating brush guard)

Here's my 2 cents. I just put a stealth Aries bull bar on my 2014 TRD Sport. Yes mostly for looks, but it bolted on to the steel bumper/frame with six good size bolts. It has to add a small safety factor.
Will it bend back at some point? Yes. Over the years I have had different ones on different vehicles, some help, some do not.
As a former LEO I worked a lot of TAs (traffic accidents) were vehicles had these on. Some of these help and here is why.
New vehicles are design to give/collapse to absorb the kinetic energy of the crash. A solid mounted crash bar absorbs some of that energy thus allowing the cars ability to absorb the rest.
Just my thoughts after working a lot of TAs. Not asking anyone to agree or disagree.

Back