BEST ROOF RACK FOR OUR NEEDS?

I’m looking for a roof rack for our 2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road, double cab, short bed. My wife and I have Hobie Mirage kayaks. They are 12’ or 13’ long and around 70 lbs each.

My wife bought a goalpost-style bed extender, but with the kayaks in the bed, they stick out very far. So we are thinking of getting a roof rack to transport them, either with double kayak cradles, or with them mounted on the rack at the front half, with the raised goalpost extender supporting them from the back.

Note that we are looking to take the truck camping, so a roof rack system that is versatile enough to work for other outdoor uses as well would be a plus.

Would the Toyota OEM accessory roof rack work for either or both methods?
ARE there better choices?

Any advice or experience you can impart is appreciated.
SECOND EDIT: I can’t deal with this Forum. Between the endless pop up ads and the server errors, I’m out. Anyone who would like to offer advice can see my thread under the same title on Tacomaworkd.com. Thanks.

EDIT: Found the Toyota rack weight rating: 100 lbs. No indication if that’s static or dynamic, but either way, inadequate for my needs. So looking at the more rugged aftermarket choices.

Last edited:
The OEM rack is only rated to 70 lbs I believe so wouldn’t work for a rooftop tent. It looks cool though. =) From my little bit of research, I would buy the Prinzu Pro but they don’t ship to APO…boooo! Lol =). I’ve read good things about the UpTop and Cali LED versions also.

Thanks. Toyota dealer gave me the install instructions for the OEM rack, which includes warning stickers that weight limit is 100 lbs.

The Prinzu looks nice. I’m hesitating because of the price. I was hoping to get something closer to $500 rather than $1,000.

Thanks. Toyota dealer gave me the install instructions for the OEM rack, which includes warning stickers that weight limit is 100 lbs.

The Prinzu looks nice. I’m hesitating because of the price. I was hoping to get something closer to $500 rather than $1,000.

You may want to consider a heavier stronger rack similar to a bed mounted ladder rack.

Have you thought about a trailer for the kayaks?

Interesting..... I don't get pop-up adds. Yeah, the server has been weird lately.

Back