Biggest tires, question

Sjeddi

Hey guys I know this topic probably has been covered numerous times.... sorry to beat this horse again lol buuuuut....

I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD pro with a 2” rough country spacer lift in the front and 1.5” BORA wheel spacers. I will be installing 1” rear blocky I fully level the truck.
That said my question is, how big the of tires can I fit without trimming? I have been thinking 275 75 16 is safe but I’ve been wanting to put on 285s if can?

Hey guys I know this topic probably has been covered numerous times.... sorry to beat this horse again lol buuuuut....

I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD pro with a 2” rough country spacer lift in the front and 1.5” BORA wheel spacers. I will be installing 1” rear blocky I fully level the truck.
That said my question is, how big the of tires can I fit without trimming? I have been thinking 275 75 16 is safe but I’ve been wanting to put on 285s if can?

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on this topic. It’s a complicated question.

It seems that it’s mainly the width that becomes the problem. I have a buddy with a 2.5” lift that is running 255/85r16’s which are 33.1” tall with plenty of room. But they’re skinny.

That said, you likely have plenty of height for the 285’s but will rub when turning.

~ Nick

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on this topic. It’s a complicated question.

It seems that it’s mainly the width that becomes the problem. I have a buddy with a 2.5” lift that is running 255/85r16’s which are 33.1” tall with plenty of room. But they’re skinny.

That said, you likely have plenty of height for the 285’s but will rub when turning.

~ Nick

Yes I’ve seen this in my research as well. I’m going the skinny route myself in a week from Monday. However I’ve seen instances with ~2.5 leveling kit can fit 285s with a spacer with minimal to no trimming on stock OR wheels. Just depends on your specific truck as they are all just a bit different. I’d go the 285 route but don’t want to run more than a .5” spacer or buy new wheels yet. Maybe when I decide to get a second set though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

~ Nick

Yeah! You are right, I believe I do have the height but the width is in question especially when turning. I think I may go 275 just to be safe! I love the stance of these trucks, gives you that tonka truck look. But this is my daily and I don’t want to rub every time I turn!

Yeah! You are right, I believe I do have the height but the width is in question especially when turning. I think I may go 275 just to be safe! I love the stance of these trucks, gives you that tonka truck look. But this is my daily and I don’t want to rub every time I turn!

Yeah, that’s the struggle I’m dealing with as well. Being a daily driver I don’t want to loose too many MPG’s, burn up more tire than I need blowing down the highway or make it just less practical for day to day use.

My bigger struggle is really to lift or not to lift. I don’t really want to invest the money in a full suspension kit, cab mount chop and all that to only get an additional 2” of tire under it. Yes, I realize I’d gain clearance and suspension performance as well but if I’m doing all that I want to get the most bang for my buck. Then I go back to the question “Do I need to lift it to do what I want it to do?”. I’m still unsure of the answer to that question.

I plan to get a couple trips under my belt before I do much of anything to it.

~ Nick

Yeah, that’s the struggle I’m dealing with as well. Being a daily driver I don’t want to loose too many MPG’s, burn up more tire than I need blowing down the highway or make it just less practical for day to day use.

My bigger struggle is really to lift or not to lift. I don’t really want to invest the money in a full suspension kit, cab mount chop and all that to only get an additional 2” of tire under it. Yes, I realize I’d gain clearance and suspension performance as well but if I’m doing all that I want to get the most bang for my buck. Then I go back to the question “Do I need to lift it to do what I want it to do?”. I’m still unsure of the answer to that question.

I plan to get a couple trips under my belt before I do much of anything to it.

~ Nick

Well I guess the question is what do you want to do. I’ve done a good amount at Stock. Minus running 265/75R16. But now I’m aware of the limits at stock. And I want to be able to do a bit more.

Well I guess the question is what do you want to do. I’ve done a good amount at Stock. Minus running 265/75R16. But now I’m aware of the limits at stock. And I want to be able to do a bit more.

And that’s where my knowledge is limited. This being my first Taco and planning to take on some new “adventures” I’m just not sure what the capabilities are or what I will need them to be.

I need to get out there and get some “dirt time” in and find out! [emoji16]

~ Nick

And that’s where my knowledge is limited. This being my first Taco and planning to take on some new “adventures” I’m just not sure what the capabilities are or what I will need them to be.

I need to get out there and get some “dirt time” in and find out! [emoji16]

~ Nick

Fair enough [emoji38]. Where I live (Ohio) I have to drive a good bit to get to anything worth it. Just Did DBBB in Kentucky and that was a blast. Could not have done one particular part of that trail but 98% I had no issues. Just had to do some trail maintenance here and there due to washouts. Here’s some pics.
ccbc205456a6276b6b93f87e5eee880b.jpg

728821ce47156e98bc9ea648ed01a20c.jpg

9b8a1752f08ca5f4bfe889ab145eca51.jpg

9c1eb366654c59045a0743b27da672e2.jpg

7cb639eb17e571df3d1deed64a836ee9.jpg

Fair enough [emoji38]. Where I live (Ohio) I have to drive a good bit to get to anything worth it. Just Did DBBB in Kentucky and that was a blast. Could not have done one particular part of that trail but 98% I had no issues. Just had to do some trail maintenance here and there due to washouts. Here’s some pics.
ccbc205456a6276b6b93f87e5eee880b.jpg

728821ce47156e98bc9ea648ed01a20c.jpg

9b8a1752f08ca5f4bfe889ab145eca51.jpg

9c1eb366654c59045a0743b27da672e2.jpg

7cb639eb17e571df3d1deed64a836ee9.jpg

That’s what I’m talking about! Looks like fun! Yeah, there’s nothing “close” to go play. I’ve been looking, it’ll definitely be a full day event.

~ Nick

That’s what I’m talking about! Looks like fun! Yeah, there’s nothing “close” to go play. I’ve been looking, it’ll definitely be a full day event.

~ Nick

Most people take 3 days to do the full trail. We did about 80% in 2. We might have gotten further but we hit the second hardest part the last day. Plus we had a full-size truck that needed to take it slow in some of the narrow parts.

That looks really fun ! When i first got my taco, i still had my 03 tundra and for shats and giggles it put my 18 x8.5 Moda wheels on it with 285-60-18 kuhmos and 4.5 backspace with 0 offset did not rub at all .i should have swapped them but i would have had to put 1.5 spacers on the tundra cuz the wheels tucked in to far .My bad .i think they were 32 tall and 11.5 wide .they looked sweet on it .but i put 17x9 with 265-70-17 and they rubbed -12 offset 4.5 back space .I dont quite get the whole offset thing isnt that kinda like backspace? View attachment 32047

Attachments

• 20171014_181541.jpg
    20171014_181541.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200308_170545_HDR~3.jpg
    20200308_170545_HDR~3.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That looks really fun ! When i first got my taco, i still had my 03 tundra and for shats and giggles it put my 18 x8.5 Moda wheels on it with 285-60-18 kuhmos and 4.5 backspace with 0 offset did not rub at all .i shouls have swapped them but i would have had to put 1.5 spacers on the tundra cuz the wheels tucked in to far .My bad .i think they were 32 tall and 11.5 wide .they looked sweet on it .but i put 17x9 with 265-70-17 and they rubbed -12 offset 4.5 back space .I dont quite get the whole offset thing isnt that kinda like backspace? View attachment 32047

Backspace and offset are different from each other but one can be used to find the other. It’s a formula I don’t have handy. But using both is the best way to find wheels that make life easier when going to bigger tires [emoji16].

IIRC

Offset is used to measure how far the mounting portion of the wheel is from the center of the wheel, I.E. a 0 offset is perfectly distanced on either side.

Backspacing is simply how much space from the back of the wheel.

I could have mucked that up though. I’ll find an article later to confirm.

Back