Bilstein shocks: need a professional opinion

I recently bought a '14 tacoma DCSB w/off road package. I drove to Utah this weekend and ended up in Moab by chance. After touring Arches natl park, I found an off-road trail that said 4 wheel drive recommended. I made it a fair way down this trail covering some terrain that was a little hairy. Eventually I had to turn around because the terrain was just too much for the taco in my opinion. My question is, how good are the bilstein shocks that come with the off-road package?? What is the best mod to make for casual off-roading?ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1390182332.216828.jpg

i work at a place where we build off road rigs, the shocks are mediocre at best. i would suggest upgrading the shocks and leaf springs as the leafs are junk from the factory. you would be extremely happy with the results. a bilstien 5100 series is your best bet if you are only doing some off road driving here and there and still want to keep a good factory ride. it will be slightly rougher ride but will perform a lot better in all conditions!

The Bilsteins that came with my 2002 Tundra SR5 4.7l (TRD package)
did not hold up very well:sad: I had to replace the rear shocks at around 50k..
I replaced them with a heavy duty set from Carquest and never had any problems:thumbup: However, I did not use my truck for lots of off-road driving.

In general, I kinda think the bilsteins are over-priced:thumbdown:

The Bilsteins that came with my 2002 Tundra SR5 4.7l (TRD package)
did not hold up very well:sad: I had to replace the rear shocks at around 50k..
I replaced them with a heavy duty set from Carquest and never had any problems:thumbup: However, I did not use my truck for lots of off-road driving.

In general, I kinda think the bilsteins are over-priced:thumbdown:

the bilsteins then versus now are two different animals. the new 5150's are very well built

the shocks are not meant for more than "light" offroading

but also take note, offroading ability is much more than just the shocks, it's the entire suspension.

Back