Blue Stuff

byrd

Curious as to what this stuff is. It's on my fill plugs, manual transmission, rear differential and transfer case. Don't see it on the front differential. Is it something they put on during factory build? Getting ready to change all gear fluids, truck has 50k on it. If it's something they put on during the factory build then it tells me none of the gear oil has been changed. Pics enclosed are transmission & transfer case.

Attachments

• S1050394.jpg
    S1050394.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 28
  • S1050396.jpg
    S1050396.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 27
That's what I thought. So I'm right to assume none of it's been changed. Well, it's getting changed now.

Yeah never touched. 50K isn't late or anything. Maybe a little late if you have a rear LSD (05-09 Sports and some SR5s).

I usually do my diff fluids and transfer case every 30K miles.

I've changed my front diff when I put the ecgs bushing in but I am getting close so I'm gonna swap them all over to amsoil

Yeah never touched. 50K isn't late or anything. Maybe a little late if you have a rear LSD (05-09 Sports and some SR5s).

I usually do my diff fluids and transfer case every 30K miles.

3.73 gear with LSD '06 SR5 has the sticker. Rearend is quiet though. I bought it at 47k in Jan this year.

Specs for fill from my owners manual are:
trans 1.9 quarts SAE GL4 or 5 75W-90
transfer 1.1 quarts SAE GL5 75W-90
front diff 1.6 quarts SAE GL5 below 0 degrees 75W-90
rear diff 3.0 quarts SAE GL5 below 0 degrees 80W or 80W-90 above 0 90W
also add LSD additive for LSD rear.

I'm also doing the rear breather mod.
Have all the stuff now to do everything. That is if it would quit raining.

My Hayes manual says the same except front gets 80W-90 same as rear.
Using Royal Purple 75W-90 in trans & transfer case and Valvoline Durablend 80W-90 in front & rear
that will give me about 2% LSD additive at 3 quarts so will add a little additive to it to bring it up some if it chirps.

Last edited:
Back