Brake Override Malfunction after Brake Controller Install

BCool83

I attempted to install a Curt brake controller in my '16 SR5 today. I'm hard wiring the controller to the truck, since I have no brake controller plug (no factory tow package). Of the four wires at the brake pedal switch (red, black, blue, purple), etrailer stated that the red was COLD - and therefore the one I need to splice into for the signal to the controller. I did so, and upon starting the truck, now receive the Brake Override Malfunction warning (looks just like this), and cannot shift out of park. I disconnected the brake controller, but still receive the warning and can't move the vehicle.

Any thoughts??

CHeck fuses.... i dont have the 3rd gen wiring diagrams, but..... red is cold sounds funny.
Im no electrical pro, and im not saying anyone is wrong... but red, cold....ok

Or maybe try taking out the brake light switch..... then reinstall.
Maybe it got knocked goofy.

Id check that and fuses.

CHeck fuses.... i dont have the 3rd gen wiring diagrams, but..... red is cold sounds funny.
Im no electrical pro, and im not saying anyone is wrong... but red, cold....ok
Yes, you're right...thank you! In my disappointment/fury after seeing the message, checking the fuses totally slipped my mind. If you're ever in southern CT, I owe you a beer.

For anyone wondering, the "cold" wire on a 2016 Tacoma's brake pedal switch is the blue wire.

Back