Brake pulsing

teskicks

I have a 2005 TRD off road access cab. I bought it a little over a year ago from a local used car dealer. They replaced the front brakes before the sale. This is a second vehicle for me so it is not a daily driver. I try to use it every weekend. After about 3 months I started getting a shaking in the steering wheel when braking. The dealer replaced the rotors saying they had warped. They blamed it on me not driving it enough (doesn't sound right to me). They did not charge me saying it was under warranty.

3-4 months later now and the shaking is back.

Could there be something else that is causing the warping?

Do I need to find someone else to fix this? Should I not trust this dealer any more?

Heat is the only way you'll get warping. Only you know if you have braked hard repeatedly or if you are a double foot driver. And no I wouldn't trust a dealer that told me what they told you.

I have a 2005 TRD off road access cab. I bought it a little over a year ago from a local used car dealer. They replaced the front brakes before the sale. This is a second vehicle for me so it is not a daily driver. I try to use it every weekend. After about 3 months I started getting a shaking in the steering wheel when braking. The dealer replaced the rotors saying they had warped. They blamed it on me not driving it enough (doesn't sound right to me). They did not charge me saying it was under warranty.

3-4 months later now and the shaking is back.

Could there be something else that is causing the warping?

Do I need to find someone else to fix this? Should I not trust this dealer any more?
It could be your wheels aren't torqued down correctly. That can cause the same feeling as warped rotors. Maybe check the torque? 85 ft lbs.

I had similar problem with 2004 Double Cab. Replaced brakes front and back, tie rods, calipers, both regular mechanic and dealer couldn't figure it out. Eventually got rid of it because we couldn't fix it. It was the most frustrating problem I've had with a vehicle, loved the truck but got tired of front end shaking and growing concern it would breakdown.

Cheap rotors will warp very easily. Braking while it is raining they will warp, always get the painted or coated rotors, or the high performance ones with holes or grooves, keeps the rotor from getting too hot, and especially if it goes in water and cools down too fast

I had a 2004 4Runner. I drive a lot. I had 412k miles on it when I got rid of it. I had problems with aftermarket brake pads. They appeared to overheat the rotors and warp them. I would only buy pads from Toyota after that. Bought Warner(I think) rotors from OReillys. Toyota was way too high on theirs. Got 125k miles out of that combo before I had to turn them. A friend of mine owns a tire store. He said there is only like 3 makers of pads. I don't know about that. Because when I quit using aftermarket pads I quit having problems. The Toyota pads cost a little more but were worth it to me.

Warping of rotors can also be caused by the rotors being hot and then cooled off quickly as in driving in the rain. Most retail part stores rotors are not tempered as the factory ones are. Best to get the slotted and drilled rotates that cool quicker so the water from puddles and rain, etc. won't effect them near as much.

Back