Brakes

Bigislandrock

Bigislandrock
Been doing research on brake upgrades. Been looking at EBC, Hawk, Power Stop, Stop Tech.

Definately will be going with slotted rotors and ceramic pads but debating on brands EBC, Hawk, and Stop Tech are pricey. The only resonable priced one is Power Stop (china) for their kits. Iʻm trying to buy more 'Made in the USAʻ brands/products but dont want to break the bank either nor do i want to compromise safety over $$$.

Ive got a 4th gen 4runner too preparing for an upgrade. Both my rides carry my family so trying to make an educated decision.

Ive talked to one pro brake mechanic here with over 30 years experience and his opinion on EBC pads are "theyʻre over-rated", another friend mechanic thinks they're good but way to pricey as he's used auto parts store brand ceramic pads that work/last longer. But if i had to choose between EBC & Hawk i should go EBC. So, very mixed feelings about what brand to buy.

Suggestions? Other brands iʻve missed? Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Go with Toyoyta TRD Pads Ceramic,or DuraLast at Auto Zone,or OEM,and TRD Slotted Drilled Rotors!!!And Fully Synthethec DOT 3 or DOT 4 Amsoil,Mobil 1,Lucas,Royal Purple Brake Fluid!!! Big Difference,cooler and best Stopping power ever!I have TRD Pads,OEM Rotors,Amsoil Fully Synthetic DOT 3 Brake Fluid!! Try it ,You ll Like It!! Rambo,Heavy Equipment Mechanic since 1978!!!

I never had issues with EBC products. Had them on my Ranger and now on my Taco. My Hawk pads would sing any time I touched the brakes.

Rambo - I noticed you have a blower. I would look into some better brakes since you have the blower.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Rambo & Whipper. Good to know toyota trd puts out rotors & pads. Im leaning towards the EBC rotors & pads green stuff. They look killer too!

Just pulled my tires off my 4runner today for brake inspection seems like all is good with a good amount of pad life still. Dirty as hell though so iʻll be cleaning them. Iʻm glad i'll be saving extra $$$ on one less brake job.

Thanks!

I have EBC yellow stuff with EBC slotted/drilled rotors and I absolutely love them. Amazing stopping power with a quad on the back.

Back