Broke Drive Shaft

rowedarren

I was driving down the interstate the other day and my drive shaft broke off my 06 Tacoma 4X4 truck. I put a 2.3/4 block life on the truck and the shop it took my truck to said that the reason that the drive shaft broke was because the bigger tires, 33'in, and the lift put the drive shaft at a different angle than it was designed to operate at, thereby, putting stress on the drive shaft. My question what is the best way to level out the drive shaft without taking off my lift or my tires?

BS. Plenty of people have lifts and larger tires. How long was your truck lifted? Did you ever service the U joints? 4wd trucks have serviceable U joints that need grease.

Whip, sounds like he has 2 3/4 in block lift and running 33's. That should not cause a driveshaft to break. I've never seen a driveshaft break only u-joints blow out. I agree u-joints on a 4x4 are serviceable. I lube mine every gear oil change, ie 30,000 miles.

He doesn't state how many miles he has, if the u-joints were never serviced I can see why they would blow.

I've seen plenty of U-joints blow up, and blown several when I ran my B-Gas Corvette. However the only drive shaft I ever seen broken in too was because it had been shortened incorrectly with shoddy workmanship. They did break once in a while (modified race) but 98% of the time it was the U-joints.

On the other hand I have seen quite a few of stock drive shafts "bend", normally because of accidents.

Is this possibly only related to block lifts? I recently added a lift (OME Dakar rear leaf) giving me about 2.75 in the rear.

Back