Broke frame, now what to do?

Don Martin

I just learned that the frame on my 01 Tacoma is broke and the shop is saying $8-10k to fix it.

Anyone got any thoughts on possible options at this point?

Only that it's best to replace the frame at that point. Imo, welding up an old rusty frame is like putting lipstick on a turd.
I tell everyone as soon as you by any year tacoma to coat to frame well with cosmoline, or a fluid flim like product and check it every year. With any lanolin base rust inhibitor like fluid flim, it needs reapplying every 6 months to a year depending on your climate, unless you live in the southwest. Cosmoline is more permanent, but best when done in 2 coats on new fresh paint, or steel.

the factory oem frame coating on these tacos is certainly bizarre!

yes, whatever they call 'black paint' is very bizarre and how it rotts off, the salt seems to eat right through that paint coating like butter, its very strange

did the gen2 frame coating use a different technique or product

how about gen3?

Dana manufactures the frames for all these tacoma's. imo, It's the same black paint they've used for decades on their frames. Only difference I believe Toyota has flooded the box sections with a rust inhibitor similar to cosmoline on later gen3 models before they leave the assembly plant.
Gen2's have the same frame rusting issues as the gen1. I haven't seen, or heard of toyota dealers doing frame replacements on the gen3 trucks yet.

i have YET to notice any pics out there of peeling coating on the Gen2 tacoma such as there are all kinds of pics out there on Gen1 tacoma frame coating peeling away like the salt eats right through it to the metal behind it

so it looks much different and not nearly the same rott as far as what i have seen
that there must have been some changes on the frame manufacturing process

I've seen frames that were replaced on gen2's at the dealer here....they have all the same issues the gen1's had, basically rusting from the frame inside out.

Toyota spent millions on a frame recall. $8-10,000 isn't unreasonable. The labor is heavy. ALL parts come off the frame; engine, dog house, cab, bed, drive train, suspension, fuel system........everything. Then everything gets installed on the new frame.

A patch is just a temporary fix that may or may not hold.

Schmearing cosmoline or similar products won't help your broken frame. It may delay rust on the new frame, but that is not the immediate problem. Best path is to keep it clean and dry. Rust can not be prevented, only delayed.

Your other option is to do the work yourself. If you are a good scrounger, you may get lucky to find a reasonable frame in an auto salvage yard. Although, I wouldn't hold much confidence in the speed or success of such a search.

Frankly, your best bet is to saddle up, open the wallet, let Toyota schedule and do the frame replacement. They have done quite a few, so they are very experienced and efficient with the task.

You can keep the exterior of the frame whistle clean on these tacoma's, but you can't see what's going on on the insides of those boxed in frame sections. Any moisture that gets trapped inside those sections creates rust, and thats where all the frame issues begin. Supposedly toyota began flooding these later year gen3 frames with a crc, or cosmoline type product, so will see how that all shakes out down the road.

Back