Bug out truck

I was lookin at total chaos kits. They only wanted 495 for the extended travel axles but wanted like 1200 for coilovers. .. I dunno. Dont wanna sink more than 5k into suspension, wheels, tires... we'll see

Front LT is 2900 for the 3.5 inch kit plus the install if you can't weld yourself. Figure $1500 to $2000 for front shocks. If you are worried about the suspension price you couldn't never do an LS swap. Probably $10K for that swap if you don't do it.

I can weld and turn a wrench just fine. I've just never really dove into much suspension stuff. As far as the ls swap. That'll be a ways out if it ever happens.

For long travel check out all pro offroad, camburg, total chaos, and icon to start. Think that's kind of the big guys out there for it I can't quite think of others. If your on a budget might just do upper control arms and extended coilovers

2nd gen though Kona. Can you still use Tundra axles?

every goddamn time. lol

now I'm not sure

with a 5k budget incl tires, go for a solid MT setup.

The cheapest LT setup you can get (Excl. if you're buying used, which would mean you really gotta know what you're looking for) would be allpro, with 2500 for susp, 1000-1200 for a walker evans coilover, and 3-600 for CV's

then you gotta look at the rear

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its a firm budget.... I just wanna keep it as low as possible. Tires/wheels I can pick up cheap with a little barter with a guy I know at a tire shop. I looked at the icon stage 4 kit last night and for 3500 on toytec I can pick that up. Now with that kit is there any extra parts I'd absolutely need? Or anything I SHOULD buy to compliment the kit? Sorry for more newb suspension questions. I know there's Google and all the forums and I hear guys ***** every day about lift questions.... lol. Im past junk country and spacer lifts. I just need the little things from here on out... like do I need extended brake lines, bump stops, u bolt flip kits??? I dunno guys. You're helping a ton and I think im pretty much set on what I want. Just need to see what little things im overlooking

I wouldn't buy the stage 4 but it has everything you need if you go for it. Everything else is optional if you want it. I have the Wheeler's Superbumps and U bolt flip kit. The bumps are much better than stock but air/hydrobumps are even better. The flip kit does nothing IMO unless you are wheeling over rocks.

Why not the stage 4? Is there a complete kit you'd recommend? Im open to ideas. Just seemed like the way to go with a complete set-up and I'd heard tons of good reviews on icon. But im open to ideas.

The billet uppers are just bling. You can get their tubular arms and use the money saved on the arms to get a real leaf pack for the rear.

But honestly I do not like Icon because of their top had design. It cracks over time.

Kinda figured...anyway since we got off topic with newb suspension questions.....

How about some items in your bug out vehicle/bag that the average person would never even think of having...

Kinda figured...anyway since we got off topic with newb suspension questions.....

How about some items in your bug out vehicle/bag that the average person would never even think of having...

Definitely toilet paper, it may sound funny but you'll never know where you have to go. Haha

The billet uppers are just bling. You can get their tubular arms and use the money saved on the arms to get a real leaf pack for the rear.

But honestly I do not like Icon because of their top had design. It cracks over time.

Icon's the only "top three" brand I've seen with cracked tophats and with chronic leaks

and I've never seen anyone needing the strength of billet, and holy ****ing wallet eater. haha

2 pocket knives, 2 multitool knives, always have a bible. And a clip from my front bumper. All inside the cab.

extra parts, e-tool, toilet paper, mirror, preferred firestarting material, recovery straps, duct tape

And about the long travel... would it be semi-functional running down the highway? Could I keep the ifs or do I need to sas? I've definitely thought about goin all out but I also want to drive it sometimes. And performance wise... is 4k on a supercharger even worth it? I've heard max gains around 60hp? I could swap an lsx engine for that.
If your looking for BIG power gains and torque, a stock LS with a few bolt ons would be the way to go. Yes you'll have to back it up with a 4L60E or something similar but considering the level of truck your contemplating that's not a far stretch. I think you could do that swap for $4k easy and be a lot happier than blower $4500 on the kazuma. The weight increase is easily compensated for with a stiffer spring rate and specifically valves shock. When you figure out what you want to do with the suspension and actually get some parts installed and/or fabbed up, give the guys at FOA a call. They cost way less than king or FOX coil-overs and perform great. I've built/helped build several trucks that are running them and we had great results. Cost you about $1,200 for remote reservoir coil-overs on all four corners. I'm definitely liking your ideas though haha.

It's basically a vehicle with a lot of modifications/ enhancements that has some gear just incase something goes wrong such as a mega earthquake or fire you have something with stuff to go to a safer location. I know this because I watch the show "Doomsday Preppers"
I've watched a few episodes. I love all the Toyotas I've owned. Then taken me up over and to many awesome places! But, I don't see any of them as "bug out " vehicles! If you've got an extra $250,000 laying around I'll build you something that you can live in,drive through walls,with the capacity to blow up all kinds of ****!

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum

It's basically a vehicle with a lot of modifications/ enhancements that has some gear just incase something goes wrong such as a mega earthquake or fire you have something with stuff to go to a safer location. I know this because I watch the show "Doomsday Preppers"
I've watched a few episodes. I love all the Toyotas I've owned. Then taken me up over and to many awesome places! But, I don't see any of them as "bug out " vehicles! If you've got an extra $250,000 laying around I'll build you something that you can live in,drive through walls,with the capacity to blow up all kinds of ****!

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum

Back