Burning oil...?

taco John

So I'm aware that the 4.0l engine take 5.5 quarts, i did an oil change yesterday and I noticed that only a little under 5 quarts came out? I use synthetic royal purple (high mileage) 5w-30. I went 7-8 months for this change and I'm not gonna lie I drive my truck pretty hard lol. Oh and I use an oem oil filter if that means anything. Basically I just wanna know why only a little under 5 quarts came out, my truck doesn't have any problems that I know of?

" I went 7-8 months for this change and I'm not gonna lie I drive my truck pretty hard lol."

Id suspect thats your answer.

Zero need to measure what came out, just use that dipstick before you drain it.

Is this an indication that the pcv valve is going bad?
Dunno, but pcv does have a hand in the oil recirculation iirc.

My buddy beatz the **** out of his truck..... well, all the way till it blew up. He would end up a qrt low often. Terrible idea.

You sir need to keep up on your oil level. Starvation will catch up to you when beating on the truck.

The dipstick is not there soley for checking level at oil change intervals... its there to save your engine.

To quote my friend Mark

"Not pointing the finger at you, as you couldn't have known. I am letting you know from years of experience as well as from having help created an oil pan spacer to increase capacity to prevent the oil starvation problem associated with the XR shallow oil pan, your first mistake was having the oil in the middle.

On the XR and some PreRunners with the same shallow pan, having the oil in the middle, is a recipe for bearing failure due to starvation. ALWAYS FILL TO THE TOP DOT*****

Check the oil level while the engine is running, and you'll see why I stress that point."

don't overfill it though, that can destroy an engine too
True

Use that dipstick. It aint hard to figure out boys, for years the high and low, or hatch marks depending on models has represented 1 quart.

Halfway to full line? Half a qrt

True

Use that dipstick. It aint hard to figure out boys, for years the high and low, or hatch marks depending on models has represented 1 quart.

Halfway to full line? Half a qrt
Thanks for the advice man, I should be checking my oil levels constantly. But I guess it was just pure laziness in my part. That will surely change. But say my truck is burning oil often? What would that possibly indicate?

Thanks for the advice man, I should be checking my oil levels constantly. But I guess it was just pure laziness in my part. That will surely change. But say my truck is burning oil often? What would that possibly indicate?
I know one cause would be leaking valve seals which you will see evidence of on your spark plugs. But from the sound of it I dont think you have an issue with that. You generally will start to see some smoke out the tail pipe on start up.

I know one cause would be leaking valve seals which you will see evidence of on your spark plugs. But from the sound of it I dont think you have an issue with that. You generally will start to see some smoke out the tail pipe on start up.

True, my pops had some leaky guides on his yoter... def a puff of the blue smoke upon startup

I do have smoke that comes from my tailpipe when my truck warms up, but I'm pretty confident that is just condensation.

I do have smoke that comes from my tailpipe when my truck warms up, but I'm pretty confident that is just condensation.
Good I hope not. That can be a costly fix.Although I have heard there is a way to replace valve seals without removing the head. But from what I gather it's one of those old timer mechanic tricks that many shop will refuse to do. Nothing dire from leaking valves it just shortens the Cat. Converter life and consumes oil. I also would be really suprised if that's what you were dealing with

Good I hope not. That can be a costly fix.Although I have heard there is a way to replace valve seals without removing the head. But from what I gather it's one of those old timer mechanic tricks that many shop will refuse to do. Nothing dire from leaking valves it just shortens the Cat. Converter life and consumes oil. I also would be really suprised if that's what you were dealing with
Yeah I doubt it's that, once my truck is fully warmed up nearly no smoke comes out of the exhaust, and I don't experience any problems while driving.

Back