Buying a Tacoma

Charles Pratt

I currently drive a Silverado but I want a Tacoma because of gas and i'm looking for a smaller truck. I want to find a 2nd gen Taco crew cab 4x4 but my budget is 13500. Is their any place I can find a 2005-2009 Tacoma with decent miles (since Toyotas are known for being reliable what mileage range is acceptable)?

I currently drive a Silverado but I want a Tacoma because of gas and i'm looking for a smaller truck. I want to find a 2nd gen Taco crew cab 4x4 but my budget is 13500. Is their any place I can find a 2005-2009 Tacoma with decent miles (since Toyotas are known for being reliable what mileage range is acceptable)?

Where are you located

Depends alot on where you are... these things hold their value.
I bought mine in 2008 from toyota certified lot 2yrs old with 20k on it for around $20,000 with extended platinum warranty. Now, at that time many 1st gen trucks were fetching $16,000 with 7 times the mileage from a non dealer lot as is.

People regularly get offers from toyota to buyback their 2nd gens for quite hugh prices in order to get them into a 3rd gen.

Out of curriosity, what is a crewbcab known as?
The double cab with 4 full doors with up/down windows, or access cab with 2 full doors, and 2 half size doors with stationary glass, that open in suicide configuration?

I paid 17,500 for a 2010 double cab with 100k on it. It had a new frame put on it and a lot of other new parts. I'm a new taco owner, but it seems there is rust issues on the older tacos, a lot of them are covered under warranty from Toyota. I would be careful and ask these longtime members on here about it.

I honestly think you'll need a little more money saved up to get a decent 2nd gen double cab 4x4. Long beds seem to be about 4-5k cheaper from My shopping experience which doesn't make any since. ..

Depends alot on where you are... these things hold their value.
I bought mine in 2008 from toyota certified lot 2yrs old with 20k on it for around $20,000 with extended platinum warranty. Now, at that time many 1st gen trucks were fetching $16,000 with 7 times the mileage from a non dealer lot as is.

People regularly get offers from toyota to buyback their 2nd gens for quite hugh prices in order to get them into a 3rd gen.
Toyota offered 18k for mine.. I said no thanks

I paid 17,500 for a 2010 double cab with 100k on it. It had a new frame put on it and a lot of other new parts. I'm a new taco owner, but it seems there is rust issues on the older tacos, a lot of them are covered under warranty from Toyota. I would be careful and ask these longtime members on here about it.
That's not bad. Is it 4x4 ?

You might be able to get a 2005-06 access cab prerunner with less than 200k miles on it for $13500. Or. 4x4 with over 200k miles on it but it’s not going to be a nice one.
Check carguru, Craigslist, autotrader

I got a 2012 double cab 4x4 with 78k miles for 18.5 but i happened to stumble on an old woman who didnt need the truck anymore. Got it in nesr percect condition. The prices are out there if you search and are willing to travel a little. I never recommend other vehicles. I overland my Taco all over. Best decision I've ever made!

This is a pretty good deal. Dont think you'll find any better in your price range Screenshot_20180806-011437_Chrome.jpeg

This is a pretty good deal. Dont think you'll find any better in your price range View attachment 19833
I just bought an 07 4dr long bed 4wd with 98k miles in Northern Va.
Brand New frame, 9/10 in and out, for $15.9k.
I've been looking for a year, but hard shopping for 2 months.
Keep saving and pay cash. ... it feels great!

Don't lose heart [emoji3]

Last edited:
I just bought an 07 4dr long bed 4wd with 98k miles in Northern Va.
Brand New frame, 9/10 in and out, for $15.9k.
I've been looking for a year, but hard shopping for 2 months.
Keep saving and pay cash. ... it feels great!

Don't lose heart [emoji3]

Welcome to the forum

Back