Buying used. Common issues after timing belt?

Damon Spreng

Looking to buy first gen tacoma 3.4 4X4 manual. I know the timing belt needs changed around 200k haven't heard anything major after that or how long they really last. I have 9k and I'm on portland Oregon area. Seem to be hard to find under 200k so wondering how long I have after timing belt if I get one already done or do one myself.

Timing belt life is 90K miles. It's a fairly involved process so I wouldn't attempt if you aren't confident with mechanical stuff.

A shop is going to charge between $700-1100. Parts to do it yourself $100 to $300 depending on what kit you buy. I wouldn't go cheap in the kit.
I'd recommend OEM and one with the water pump while you where in there it's easy to replace. If you can't do it yourself. You could probably save a little money by buying a kit and paying a shop you trust to install it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/180729034728?_mwBanner=1

You drive it change the oil check the fluids regularly.
It will last you another 100k before you need to do another belt. You might have to do an alternator or a starter, or pump or belt or some sensor. If you're maintaining it I doubt the entire engine is going to go out on you. I've owned a lot of Toyota's and the worst I've had is a head gasket blow.

Back