CA DMV Refuses to Re-Register 2016 TRD w/o Emissions Fix

MVMike

Just had my registration renewal declined by the CA DMV because of a pending "Emissions" recall on my 2016 V6 TRD. Made an appointment at my dealer and it turns out the Cam Sensor recall is considered an emissions device. Trouble is there are no sensors available anywhere, are on backorder, and the service writer said it could be months before they are available. Great. My tags will be forced to expire. Ever try calling the DMV to ask a question? May as well send smoke signals. Went to AAA and they couldn't do anything without a cert of completion of the repair. This situation sucks. "Oh What a Feeling . . . . "

Just had my registration renewal declined by the CA DMV because of a pending "Emissions" recall on my 2016 V6 TRD. Made an appointment at my dealer and it turns out the Cam Sensor recall is considered an emissions device. Trouble is there are no sensors available anywhere, are on backorder, and the service writer said it could be months before they are available. Great. My tags will be forced to expire. Ever try calling the DMV to ask a question? May as well send smoke signals. Went to AAA and they couldn't do anything without a cert of completion of the repair. This situation sucks. "Oh What a Feeling . . . . "
That sucks. Can you get temporary permits until the fix? Make toyota pay for them. Call corporate and file a case and get on the top of the wait list. Sounds like you and anyone else in that situation with tag expirations and emotions should be at the top of the back order list for replacement.

Man, that really sucks. I hate to hear that. I’m in West Virginia and we don’t have all the strict emission requirements like California. It seems crazy that a tag can be force expired for an issue you can’t help.
Have you tried other dealerships? I’d try all of them within reasonable driving distance.

Pay the fees & get a temp registration from DMV, they will do it with regards to recall I suspect & you can still drive it without getting a ticket, done this a few times & one of them was a Ranger I owned that was having emission issues, drove for months until resolved & yeah forget about calling DMV , you'll have to make a personal appearance...

Man, that really sucks. I hate to hear that. I’m in West Virginia and we don’t have all the strict emission requirements like California. It seems crazy that a tag can be force expired for an issue you can’t help.
Have you tried other dealerships? I’d try all of them within reasonable driving distance.

Just another reason this state sucks (Ca.) For years now the DMV has been the biggest clearing house for any & all outstanding debt owed to state from child support to fines for traffic court...

I started calling around this am and found a dealer with ONE sensor left ( 3200 on backorder ) will be installed Monday am.

Awesome. Glad to hear it.
I’ll be honest, I’d keep the new tags long enough to move out of California and transfer them. Any state that holds you accountable over uncontrollable issues isn’t for me.

Reactions: 4wd
Just in case for any reason you're still unable to get a replacement!! http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...354143,ignition,camshaft+position+sensor,7192
I started calling around this am and found a dealer with ONE sensor left ( 3200 on backorder ) will be installed Monday am.

Ca dmv has a mandatory actions unit, these people tend to be a lot more helpful than the waterheads at the counters... having had some delinquencies in my past regarding vehicle reg, etc... enough about me. Get ahold of them and explain your plight. They should be able to at least get you a dirtbag tag (red tag) til toyota gets their **** together. Ask your local office for the phone # to mandatory actions unit. They won't tell you unless you ask.

Ca dmv has a mandatory actions unit, these people tend to be a lot more helpful than the waterheads at the counters... having had some delinquencies in my past regarding vehicle reg, etc... enough about me. Get ahold of them and explain your plight. They should be able to at least get you a dirtbag tag (red tag) til toyota gets their **** together. Ask your local office for the phone # to mandatory actions unit. They won't tell you unless you ask.

Spoken like a veteran of DMV ineptitude .... Yeah that about sums it up...

I had the cam sensor recall completed today as well as my CA registration. Told by both dealers the part changed was deep in the motor. 4 to 5 hrs to replace. (would have to be under a valve cover) Looking at those part pics above it almost looks external.
I don't have the shop manual so can't validate that. I've seen external Ford and GM CRANKshaft sensors alongside the harmonic balancer. Those are easy to replace.

Back