Can I add more preload or do I chop?

XD9DDM4

Good morning all,

I'm new to the Tacoma world and just got my truck lifted with 285's. My question, if I add more preload to the front coilovers (raise the front end), can I avoid the cab chop and pinch weld? I know with my previous Titan, I was able to add a taller top hat to the coilover for lift. Not sure if that works with the Tacoma.

285’s are wide for these trucks. I have 3” of lift and 285/75/16’s. I had an off-road shop do the alignment and have 16x8.5” -6 offset wheels and only have some rubbing on the wheel well when turning and hitting a hard bump or at full lock in reverse on the cab mount. Don’t put the wheel in those positions much so it doesn’t bother me.
Like @Toki said the right wheel with the right offset helps and a good alignment helps. If it still bothers you cut cut trim trim chop chop.

You are probably right. I know with the full size trucks there is more suspension travel to work with. I've purchased the metal patch online for the cab chop and will plan on doing this mod soon.

You are probably right. I know with the full size trucks there is more suspension travel to work with. I've purchased the metal patch online for the cab chop and will plan on doing this mod soon.
I think if you can find the perfect off set wheel it is possible. However you may rub other things like uca’s. Just chop it then cut cut cut.

I've got the Icon stage 9 and I'm still seeing some forward rake that I don't care for. I'd like to get a little prerunner tilt but not with effecting the performance.

Lol, I cringe on cutting into my new truck. I'll let a professional do this since I don't have welding skills.

Not suspension travel but the wheel wells are larger with full size trucks since they come with larger/wider tires to do actual truck work.

Good morning all,

I'm new to the Tacoma world and just got my truck lifted with 285's. My question, if I add more preload to the front coilovers (raise the front end), can I avoid the cab chop and pinch weld? I know with my previous Titan, I was able to add a taller top hat to the coilover for lift. Not sure if that works with the Tacoma.
I went through this with mine when I got 285/75/17 had to get adapters that are hubcentric centric to keep the tires from rubbing uca's and also took it to brothers 4x4 in montclair and got the cab mount chop and it looks like nice no rub at full turn I yet to stuff it in wheel well but I'm sure it will be fine hope this info helps of my trial and error

As the guy who does these almost every weekend, I can tell you this. Tons of people try to cheat it and not do the seam or the chop. Street truck, ok. You will replace plastics on occasion, but it can be done. But there is a price, usually you have to go almost to a 4” lift to clear with the best offset and you will be replacing CV boots every 5-10k Miles. The mod, with a piece of 1/16th flat plate is best. If you hit the trails, flex or jump at all, the natural flexing of the bushings will cause it to rub. It takes 10 minutes a side to mod and if you bend the seam out rather than in, you can screw in the wheel liner with no rub. Having done this many times to my and my families Tacoma’s, as well as many customers, it is the cheapest best way to fit larger tires. But I also recommend to every one that the 2” offset on the wheels is the best way to handle the UCA problem. Again, there is a price, and that price, arguably, is that the hubs start to fail at about 150k and cost $150 and 2 hours to change.

My $0.02.

As the guy who does these almost every weekend, I can tell you this. Tons of people try to cheat it and not do the seam or the chop. Street truck, ok. You will replace plastics on occasion, but it can be done. But there is a price, usually you have to go almost to a 4” lift to clear with the best offset and you will be replacing CV boots every 5-10k Miles. The mod, with a piece of 1/16th flat plate is best. If you hit the trails, flex or jump at all, the natural flexing of the bushings will cause it to rub. It takes 10 minutes a side to mod and if you bend the seam out rather than in, you can screw in the wheel liner with no rub. Having done this many times to my and my families Tacoma’s, as well as many customers, it is the cheapest best way to fit larger tires. But I also recommend to every one that the 2” offset on the wheels is the best way to handle the UCA problem. Again, there is a price, and that price, arguably, is that the hubs start to fail at about 150k and cost $150 and 2 hours to change.

My $0.02.
Lol so what are you suggesting? Hahaha

My $0.02.
Where are you located and would you mind doing other's CMC? Lol.

Well i am walking distance to 5 beaches and I have a spare bedroom with a full oven view, so stop by on vacation.

Also, I will be touring the USA and Canada all of 2020 it looks like due to my retirement and I take my tooling with me in the trailer, so I can always stop by...lol I’ll be posting about that journey later when I post pics of the new toy.

Well i am walking distance to 5 beaches and I have a spare bedroom with a full oven view, so stop by on vacation.

Also, I will be touring the USA and Canada all of 2020 it looks like due to my retirement and I take my tooling with me in the trailer, so I can always stop by...lol I’ll be posting about that journey later when I post pics of the new toy.
Yes post your schedule and we should be able to find work for you all along the way :).

I like brookings the weather there is mild all year long. Those jet streams go up and down and leave a little piece of paradise right there.

I like brookings the weather there is mild all year long. Those jet streams go up and down and leave a little piece of paradise right there.

Yeah, it’s perfect....and I will be posting my schedule just to meet, wheel and visit with those I can on here.

Back