Car wash blows off black roof gaskets every time

jblaze79

Every time I go through the car wash the air blower lifts the long black gaskets on the roof off the truck and they dangle down on each side of the truck. I have to reach up on each side and put them back in place each time! I have a 2019 Tacoma 4 door. This is aggravating. Anyone else have this problem? Should I get some adhesive and glue them down?

Every time I go through the car wash the air blower lifts the long black gaskets on the roof off the truck and they dangle down on each side of the truck. I have to reach up on each side and put them back in place each time! I have a 2019 Tacoma 4 door. This is aggravating. Anyone else have this problem? Should I get some adhesive and glue them down?
I had a similar problem and glued the last couple inches of the rubber strip down with a small amount of automotive weather strip adhesive and problem solved.

Wash it by hand, those automatic car washes are brutal... sounds like it'll rip the sheet metal off my roof when I go through them.
I’ve been going to the automatic car wash for years. Just never had a vehicle that gaskets blow off like the Tacoma does. It looks real goofy driving out of the car wash with two big black gaskets dangling down on each side. Toyota engineers ought to correct this.

I had a 2012 Tacoma and had used the same car wash for years. Gaskets blew off one time after about 6 years of ownership but I was easily able to put them back into place. Hasn’t happened since. If I were you I would avoid that car wash and either use a different one or wash it by hand each time.

I was SO glad to catch this thread. There's 3" of snow outside and if I want to get the dammed road salt off my Taco I use the automatic car wash when the temp nears freezing (no heated garage to do it myself). I bought a "17 Sport a week ago and ran it through the wash yesterday. The weather strip coming out happened. I really appreciate seeing the problem/solution here. Thanks for the thread.

Had the same problem with my '18 double cab. Dealer says, "they all do it" stuck it back down, blows off again next time at car wash. I call Toyota Customer Service in Plano, Tx. Dealer contacts me. Bring it in", replaces drivers side. Then passenger side comes loose, they replace that one. It still blows off at car wash.. take it back, dealer says, we're done, Toyota won't replace them again. Called Plano, TX, dealer contacts me, "bring it in". Replaces passenger side. Now they stay put. .

Dealer used double sided trim tape (3M), I believe.

Funny, dealer says "they all do it", Toyota, Plano TX, says "never heard of the problem before"

I bought 2019 and second car wash they came off, thought I'd tell them when I bring it in for my 10k oil change.

This happened to me as well the day I drive if off the lot. The rubber wasn’t seated all the way. I pushed them all down firmly and it hasn’t happened since.

Back