cd players as standard equipment in cars/trucks.

tacomalimited

2018 dcsb mgm limited 4x4
Just wondering what everyone else thinks. How much longer do you think car manufacturers will include cd players with your car stereo? I remember the first time I bought a new car and had a cd player as either standard or an upgrade from the cassete deck (btw it was only like 10 years ago, so no old jokes, I'm not that old! lol) Now, I don't think I used the cd player once in my Taco.I either stream music from my phone through Bluetooth, or use my USB for music. I don't know, what does everybody else think or do?

I agree with you cd's are obsolete IMO. I have a pioneer deh80 prs in my taco from which I play music off my phone via usb or off my flash drives. unfortunately car manufacturers are always behind the curve with av technology in my experience. I'd be surprised if it took another ten years for car companies to have USB or the possibilty of hard drive storage for your music as a standard feature. Time will tell.

Yeah I hate how I don't have an aux port. Until I get a new head unit has anyone ever used the plugin where you tune it to a radio station and it plays your music from your phone? Do they work well for the money?

My truck came with an AUX input but the sound quality was horrible. I installed a USA Spec PA15-TOY for iPod duties and it has an AUX input. Grom Audio has an AUX input for about $40. Over the air links are always bad.

I don't remember the last time I bought a cd! I download my music from Amazon or google play!I'm so glad I have the usb and Bluetooth! It was definitely a huge selling point for me!I love how I can just say the name of the song and it starts playing! Not to bash Chevy, because I do like Chevy, but, my girlfriend has a new Equinox with Bluetooth and Usb, but she can't use voice commands to bring up the song from the usb like me! She has to manually select it! Guess Toyota got that part right! Now I can't live without it!:icon_cheesygrin:

I usually listen to the radio here in the city but today I actually kicked in one of the many CD's I made in the past to be sure it worked. :laughing:
Sounded great, going on a trail run in 2 weeks and will be in the boonies so doubt I get any good reception other than country music :sick:

Havent used the CD player in my '13 since i got it. Always use the usb or the bluetooth. I dont miss caryying cds since they got stolen out of my vehicles 3 times over the years. I even unplug my ipod cable so the cockbites dont see anything when they peek. Move on to next vehicle.

Havent used the CD player in my '13 since i got it. Always use the usb or the bluetooth. I dont miss caryying cds since they got stolen out of my vehicles 3 times over the years. I even unplug my ipod cable so the cockbites dont see anything when they peek. Move on to next vehicle.

Reason I burn cd's. Granted, I don't leave them in the cab overnight, but I also don't carry my original cd's, I see them as masters and keep them in the house. Rarely use them unless I'm replacing a burned cd that got a little hot and melted........or to scratched to play.
I only take the burned ones with me when traveling between cities on vaca. On long road trips you eventually run out of range of a decent station. After I had a high end Clarion stolen out of my Chevelle about 20 yrs ago, I never bought another high end stereo for any vehicle. I have a Kenwood Home stereo that rocks. My Taco's stock stereo plays just fine for me. Probably won't upgrade. However, I do wish it had a cassette/CD player like my PreRunner did. I have lot's of burned cassettes, not so many CD's.

Reason I burn cd's. Granted, I don't leave them in the cab overnight, but I also don't carry my original cd's, I see them as masters and keep them in the house. Rarely use them unless I'm replacing a burned cd that got a little hot and melted........or to scratched to play.
I only take the burned ones with me when traveling between cities on vaca. On long road trips you eventually run out of range of a decent station. After I had a high end Clarion stolen out of my Chevelle about 20 yrs ago, I never bought another high end stereo for any vehicle. I have a Kenwood Home stereo that rocks. My Taco's stock stereo plays just fine for me. Probably won't upgrade. However, I do wish it had a cassette/CD player like my PreRunner did. I have lot's of burned cassettes, not so many CD's.

Feel your pain. I had a sweet top end alpine stolen out of my old grand cherokee back in the day. Of course they took my cd's and jacket too.

good thing about havin I-Tunes,buy some music ,,burn to cd ...and hey presto u gotta music cd :laughing: music ready to listen to

good thing about havin I-Tunes,buy some music ,,burn to cd ...and hey presto u gotta music cd :laughing: music ready to listen to

Buy it right on my phone, DL's right to it, plug in usb in truck... viola...new tunes. Only need to b/u to my hard drive when i sync my phone no need to burn anymore.

CDs are higher quality, but they are doomed. Bluetooth from a smartphone is just too convenient. My first new toyota truck (1980) came with an 8 track !

Buy it right on my phone, DL's right to it, plug in usb in truck... viola...new tunes. Only need to b/u to my hard drive when i sync my phone no need to burn anymore.

ah well some of us don't have that luxury :laughing: just kiddin'!!! but hey im old school !.. when i bought my truck it had to have a cd player but i might look into that US SPEC 15 thing

ah well some of us don't have that luxury :laughing: just kiddin'!!! but hey im old school !.. when i bought my truck it had to have a cd player but i might look into that US SPEC 15 thing

I never used to either. Abused it at first but I've slowed down considerably with my itunes spending. But i do have that gift card... A family trip to maine coming 6 hour ride...and i havent gotten ALL the black keys albums yet, so....hahahaImageUploadedByTaco Forum1373295092.951455.jpg
And maybe take the new truck up the mt washington auto road, always wanted to go up there.

Back