Clicking noise in front end.

HokieMan

For past couple days I've been hearing a clicking noise in the front end of my '10 Taco. This is more than just the click of brake pads. It sounds more like when a kid puts a playing card on a bicycle wheel spokes. Just does it when I take off at low speed and then stops. 48k miles on it, due for annual inspection on Friday. Any ideas on what it might be? Thanks in advance.

Ouch!!! It did it one time last fall after I had driven it back from the beach. That time it was much louder and didn't stop with added speed. Now I only hear it at take off for just a few seconds. I'll be sure and tell the inspection guy about it on Fri.

Had annual inspection done on Friday. Passed with flying colors. The inspector said he heard the noise and thinks it's the catalytic converter shield. I still disagree. I crawled up under and the shields are tight. The noise I'm hearing is coming from one of the front hubs and does not do it after the truck has moved a hundred of so feet. The inspector checked the wheel bearings and everything checked out fine. ????…..scratching my head!!!!

Ok...turns out the inspection guy was right...and wrong. He said there was no way to tighten the shield. One of the bolts holding the catalytic converter shield was missing and the other had rusted and broken. I replaced both and tadaa...noise gone. While I was underneath the truck I also noticed grease fittings on the drive shaft U joints that I had never seen before. Needless to say...they got greased.

Back