clutch, slave cylinder, ?????

TadL

Hi I have a 96 Tacoma 5 speed 4 WD. when I first crank the truck and it's in neutral it will not go into any gear. I have to put it in gear then crank it. Then it pulls as it is cranking. Any suggestions? I've changed differential oil already.

Does this clutch use a hydraulic throwout bearing or an external slave cylinder? If external cylinder, put on jack stands when cold, start the truck in neutral and have someone step on the clutch while you lay underneath and check for slave cylinder movement. Do the same when vehicle is hot and compare movement. My guess is the seals on the piston of the slave cylinder allow fluid to bypass when cold, and swell when hot and work well.

Are you losing fluid?

Hi I have a 96 Tacoma 5 speed 4 WD. when I first crank the truck and it's in neutral it will not go into any gear. I have to put it in gear then crank it. Then it pulls as it is cranking. Any suggestions? I've changed differential oil already.
Where are starting from?
Did you check the fluid in the reservoir under the hood? It's the little master cylinder next to the brake master cylinder.
The slave cylinder should be external underneath so you can see whats going on when someone pushes the pedal down for you.
I think you can get both the master and slave cylinder for the clutch for under $50.

Neither are a lot of the people working in the service area of my local Toyota dealer.
Doesn’t stop them though :D
I’ve helped a lot of people by suggesting where to look, what to look for and asking what they think is wrong. Most people are already pretty smart if they’ve bought a Toyota and joined a Tacoma forum to ask what wrong.

Doesn’t stop them though :D
I’ve helped a lot of people by suggesting where to look, what to look for and asking what they think is wrong. Most people are already pretty smart if they’ve bought a Toyota and joined a Tacoma forum to ask what wrong.

A second, or third opinion helps greatly in uncharted waters.

Does this clutch use a hydraulic throwout bearing or an external slave cylinder? If external cylinder, put on jack stands when cold, start the truck in neutral and have someone step on the clutch while you lay underneath and check for slave cylinder movement. Do the same when vehicle is hot and compare movement. My guess is the seals on the piston of the slave cylinder allow fluid to bypass when cold, and swell when hot and work well.

Are you losing fluid?

No fluid is being lost. I will try the hot/cold you suggested. Thanks and i'll let you know.

Where are starting from?
Did you check the fluid in the reservoir under the hood? It's the little master cylinder next to the brake master cylinder.
The slave cylinder should be external underneath so you can see whats going on when someone pushes the pedal down for you.
I think you can get both the master and slave cylinder for the clutch for under $50.

Yes I checked. It was full. I'm going to be looking into slave next. Thanks for the advice.

My Triumph TR6 had a hydraulic clutch. it worked great until one day at about 15K miles the pedal went to the floor without warning.

Back