Clutches??

phil960

Hi everyone, new to the forum. i have a 03 toyota tacoma 2.7 4cyl. and my clutch is starting to slip pretty bad. i was hoping some of you would have some insight on brands or websites for a new clutch. im looking for somthing a lil more durable than stock, being that i am running 33" tires

Thanks, Phil

What kind of clutch are you looking for,?
Do you go off roading? Race? Or do you tow a lot of crap? Besides a stock clutch, their are clutches that are made for off roading, I think the off roading clutches are called low gear, and racing clutches are high gear. With low gear, your strong in gears 1 and 2 and somewhat 3, vise versa with the high gear

Then maybe to be honest just a regular clutch, I got my clutch from carquest and it lasted me two years, I towed trailers and dogged it pretty good. It was a ford ranger, I drove it.everyday, if someone tells you, you have to change it every 6 months or so. They don't know how to drive a stick then

How is your clutch holding up? The only negative i have heard about Tacoma clutches... the ones made by LUK are made in Mexico??? The Napa might be a better quality item??

Well it was kinda my fault...kinda smoked the clutch pulling a tree that went down in a wind storm. It may have been a lil big for my truck. But this napa premium clutch Still running strong, no complaints

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a clutch that would be a step up from the stock unit?? I have hear that LUK mfg clutches are not good??? I tow a 1500 lb bass boat 400 miles north to Ontario a few times every year. I started to notice slight slipping in 4th and 5th gear.

Is that all you tow

Yes... For the most part. I make a few trips up north in the summer pulling my small aluminum bass boat.
I guess I could get away with a stock set-up?? However, for the few extra bucks... I was thinking a Stage I performance clutch might give me some extra clutch life?

Back