Cold Air Intake suggestions

BrennanR8

First post on here and first time owning a Toyota so I hope I don't sound like an idiot.

I've been looking to purchase a cold air intake for my 2015 SR5. I've heard good things about Toyota's TRD CAI. In my search I have found some cheaper intakes with decent reviews.

Do y'all recommend I stick with a Toyota made intake, or go with a cheaper off brand one.

Also if anyone has a cold air intake I'd love to know the brand and your review, thanks!!

First post on here and first time owning a Toyota so I hope I don't sound like an idiot.

I've been looking to purchase a cold air intake for my 2015 SR5. I've heard good things about Toyota's TRD CAI. In my search I have found some cheaper intakes with decent reviews.

Do y'all recommend I stick with a Toyota made intake, or go with a cheaper off brand one.

Also if anyone has a cold air intake I'd love to know the brand and your review, thanks!!
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first Tacoma.
There are no real gains from installing a CAI other than noise and the ability to clean and replace the filter in most cases. With that said everyone likes to do mods and we all spend money on the ones we like and want.
I had the aFe in my Tundra. I would get that or the TRD if I was going to get one for my taco. I decided to save the $$$ and just got the aFe Pro dry S filter to go in the OEM box. I’ve been happy with it so far. No noticeable gains.
That’s my nickel on it.
Let’s see some pictures of this taco.

Good info: Cold Air Intake
http://www.tacomaforum.com/index.php?threads/Cold-Air-Intake.6002/

My take:

I guess the question is, what do you expect to gain from a CAI?

In most modern cars and trucks, a CAI has little benefit (in many cases it actually harms performance and longevity). If an open filter CAI design gave vehicles improved power or mileage, they would be installed at the factory. If you think about it, they often are smaller and use less components than the factory intake and air boxes so would theoretically be cheaper to produce. Also, engineers obsess over finding ways to get additional RELIABLE performance and mileage out of our engines. If a CAI gave even a 1 MPG improvement that would make a big difference across the whole brand when it comes to meeting EPA requirements. Another drawback is they usually house the filter in the open which while potentially allowing more airflow, they are often pulling hotter air off the engine and radiator due to their placement.

Now, a new CAI intake combined with a snorkel would pull clean cooler air from outside the vehicle, while adding the benefit of being located higher above the dust and water that the tires and front of the vehicle stir up, but then you have to deal with cutting holes in your bodywork.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the under hood sound and look of a CAI, and have had them on some of my vehicles in the past, but for a modern Tacoma just keeping a fresh paper air filter installed is cheaper and will provide better all around performance.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first Tacoma.
There are no real gains from installing a CAI other than noise and the ability to clean and replace the filter in most cases. With that said everyone likes to do mods and we all spend money on the ones we like and want.
I had the aFe in my Tundra. I would get that or the TRD if I was going to get one for my taco. I decided to save the $$$ and just got the aFe Pro dry S filter to go in the OEM box. I’ve been happy with it so far. No noticeable gains.
That’s my nickel on it.
Let’s see some pictures of this taco.

Hahaha well it looks like I'll have to second guess my ideas of getting a CAI. I don't have much money to work with so I'd like to use the little car money I have on parts that get the bang from the buck. I appreciate the advice!!!

it is interesting that the 3.5 V6 takes the same filter as the 5.7 V8.....both get their air from outside the engine bay. I don't see where the 3.5 is in need of more air.

oops I notice you have the 4.0, so disregard

it is interesting that the 3.5 V6 takes the same filter as the 5.7 V8.....both get their air from outside the engine bay. I don't see where the 3.5 is in need of more air.

oops I notice you have the 4.0, so disregard
So true though. I bought the 5.7L V8 aFe air filter for my taco. The OEM intake does the job.

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Tacoma.
As @OR17TRD said there is little to no need or noticeable gains from a CAI but each to their own. I’d put the money somewhere else where you can do something else you want to the truck. Just my opinion.

My personal preference is cheapo air filters and a few extra cheapo filters on hand and check/ change the filter relatively often. Especially after a run through the desert. The thin paper filters breath the best but also don’t do their job that great for very long.

My personal preference is cheapo air filters and a few extra cheapo filters on hand and check/ change the filter relatively often. Especially after a run through the desert. The thin paper filters breath the best but also don’t do their job that great for very long.

Paper filters do a great job...until they don’t ;)

You’re right though, keep a bunch on hand, and change out often. They are cheap enough and give better performance than any of the reusable options.
I buy Fram paper filters off of Amazon for around $10 a piece and either change them every oil change, or immediately after any big trip where I am spending a lot of time in the dust and trails.

The new trd is made by aem/k&n and is a piece of ****.
Causes lean conditions and toyota signed off on it like money hungry idiots.

There is no "toyota made intake" other than stock which is probably made by an injection molding facility not owned by toyota anyhow.

If u wanna hear noise, and not run lean, try the afe stage 2 si with a DRY filter. Its loud as **** on a naturally aspirated engine.

Dont run any oiled air filter, ur maf sensor is not made for this.

Run an obd2 monitor and watch your STOCK intake temps at approx 40mph, they will be ambient. The whole "cold air" part of cold air intakes isnt gunna change much over stock while ur moving.

As for the pos "trd" leave that intake on a shelf

Last edited:
Back