Cold air intake

Thewarriordinghy

I am getting a cold air intake. I can't get a URD because I want to do it myself with my dad and don't have the saw (plus my headlight has one clip cracked all the way). I am considering TRD, Volant or AEM. A few questions. 1. will it make my muffler quieter? (I have a flowmaster 10 series) 2. will it hurt mpgs? 3. does it cause unnecessary engine wear? 4. How loud is the best one?

1. Intakes don't change the sound of your exhaust.
2. The Volant will since it usually causes your engine to run rich but you probably won't notice a change in MPGs. People lose a couple but only because they floor it everywhere to hear the new intake.
3. The filters do pass a bit more dirt than standard paper filters but I have bever seen anyone's engine fail due to a performance filter.
4. Open hot air intakes are the loudest. AEM's intake isn't cold air so it will be louder than the Volant and TRD.

New TRD is not good. It makes the engine run lean.
Volant makes the engine run rich but this can be solved with a URD MAF CAL.
AEM isn't cold air.
AFE is just like the original TRD intake which is good and does get kinda loud.
Airaid is similar to the original TRD and AFE.

I personally like the looks of the AFE and I like the paper filter and scoop of the Volant. I had the old style TRD and it would get too loud at times.

Lean is too little fuel in the combustion process so the fire is hotter which can melt parts but that's the extreme end of it.

Those most you will see is a check engine light and a bit of power loss since an improper mixture can reduce power. Every truck is different though.

I don't think he sells the cover anymore. Also you will have to wait until someone sells their old style TRD intake because it isn't made anymore.

If I got the new one is it loud? And what are the odds it's be crap? Like I said, I've seen a lot of guys have no problems with it.

I don't know how loud it is and it is crap either way. It just doesn't flow all that well.

It seems like you really want it so just find the best deal and get it.

Back