Comfort oriented shocks, struts and tires

xaircav

Loving my 2010 TRD access cab with 6 speed manual. It had 103k miles on it when I got it and I find the Bilstein suspension and load range D Hankook Dyna Pro tires ride kind of rough on Colorado’s rougher roads. Since off roading will represent only about 10% of my driving I’m looking for comfort oriented recommendations for shocks, struts and tires. I put on my TRD cat back exhaust yesterday and the K&N cold air kit goes on today. Got 22 mpg on a recent road trip.

Loving my 2010 TRD access cab with 6 speed manual. It had 103k miles on it when I got it and I find the Bilstein suspension and load range D Hankook Dyna Pro tires ride kind of rough on Colorado’s rougher roads. Since off roading will represent only about 10% of my driving I’m looking for comfort oriented recommendations for shocks, struts and tires. I put on my TRD cat back exhaust yesterday and the K&N cold air kit goes on today. Got 22 mpg on a recent road trip.

Load range c tires as stated, or pmetric tires...
CHECK YOUR TIRE PSI!!!

Stock coils will be softer than aftermarket.

Your maf sensor will hate the oil on the k&n and so will the throttle body

Blue and yellow. Tire pressure is to spec. 29 F 32 R.
Spec is not the best....
Google "chalk line test" for tires.

Spec is low imho to appease all the CAR people who want to drive a truck, yet maintain the camry ride.

Spec is also worthless with anything but oem tires.
You dont have passenger rated tires anymore.

Odd it rides rough at that pressure.

Are you sure they are d and not e load range?
D isnt very common besides muds from my memory.

I believe the ride of 5100s to be smoother from my experience, but i also have a progressive add a leaf out back without the overload leaf and its VERY compliant.
Fronts i have 5100s and eibach 620 coils and i swear its smoother than stock but gives 2" of lift.

The stock offroad suspension when i had it bucked at every convex bump in the road, and was easily unsettled around bridge expansion joints, especially if in a curve. It was like a nervous rabbit.

How much are you willing to spend on upgrades and how “soft” do you want it. These matter a lot.

I don’t run OME, not a downgrade on them, I am sure they are fine. If you are seriously going to get into a “Camry” ride, then fine a set of used “Baja” Bilstien series with a few miles on them or go to the 5100 series and reduce the spring rate by 25 lbs from what they give you. That will give you 2.5 inches of lift, softer ride and will articulate the suspension more with your rebound in the ballpark of what you are looking for. However...

In my opinion, and I have 4 trucks built for taco peeps now, the best way to go is to call Fox or King (OME May do the same) and ask for them to provide a remote reservoir bypass coil over with a slightly higher rebound package. My experience with Fox in particular has been very good and they have accommodated my requests with total customer satisfaction. A set will be in the 1700 range and with the higher rebound package, you can run E series tires at 32-35 lbs with a Camry ride. For long trips you can air the E series tires up to operating pressure of 60-80 for long trips and maintain both decent ride quality and improved mileage both at the tank and on the tires.

If off-road is only 10%, but I assume that 10% is hard fun, I would go BFG Allterrains. I average 50k per set.

In my humble opinion...

Scuzzy

Last edited:
Back