Coronia Virus

I kinda thought you were leaning that way and then when you said you were getting an airstream I thought yep, he went for the big boy. Youre gonna have one heck of a rig when you finally get it all put together.
Ordered a canyon...then we decided to get a big travel trailer so cancelled that and ordered a ram 2500 long box crew cab...so its ridiculously long, so i am also keeping my ram 1500 to zip around in.

Life around here is from one extreme to the other. My wife stocks groceries at Wal-Mart on 3rd shift and before this started it was absolutely no overtime. Now its do you wanna come on early, stay late, work a double, work youre off days, anything extra. I'm retired and work part time delivering parts and theyve cut our hours, which is ok with me, maybe now I'll get some things done around the house that ive been putting off.
Yep I pressure washed all concrete on my property the last two days. Working on some landscaping and getting my veggie garden started. :)

80 almost. Beautiful Cali day!

We are 15C or 60F and bright sunshine day. Spent 3 hours in the boat, caught a fish, B had a water ski, Rupert attempted the biggest clutzy move of the month today, it failed, he is lucky he didn't break a leg or worse, but in the end all he did was not make the jump successfully exiting the boat, hit the side of the dock hard, and slipped straight up and down back into the lake...he popped back up spitting out water and a look of panic in his eyes...i was busy ramming the engine into reverse so i didn't crush him between the hull and dock. He usually gauges jumps well, but he really underestimated the amount of distance to the dock today.
Not much makes him panic, but that did when his head went under.
I am going to burn in hell someday for laughing at him once I was sure he was safe.

Poor guy. I know that had to hurt.
We are 15C or 60F and bright sunshine day. Spent 3 hours in the boat, caught a fish, B had a water ski, Rupert attempted the biggest clutzy move of the month today, it failed, he is lucky he didn't break a leg or worse, but in the end all he did was not make the jump successfully exiting the boat, hit the side of the dock hard, and slipped straight up and down back into the lake...he popped back up spitting out water and a look of panic in his eyes...i was busy ramming the engine into reverse so i didn't crush him between the hull and dock. He usually gauges jumps well, but he really underestimated the amount of distance to the dock today.
Not much makes him panic, but that did when his head went under.
I am going to burn in hell someday for laughing at him once I was sure he was safe.

It sure looked and sounded like it hurt!

He loves water, but not when his head goes under. It isn't the first time, and sure it won't be the last.
We are going to be having fresh fish for dinner.
B has it cleaned and ready for the bbq. A half for us two humans, and the other half for the lame jump dog lol.

Actually I swear his legs are made of springs the way he bounces and jumps most days...he will literally bounce around the house when in a playful mood. Funniest damn thing to watch.
He doesn't lack any personality that is for sure.
B was almost ready to dive over the side to save him. I was yelling NO at her. He was panicking so was thrashing hard and would have clawed her all to heck.

I think most any dog can swim just fine once the panic wears off

At our last house I took my hairless chihuahua in the pool and she swam just fine even though she never swam in all her 11 years.
It sure looked and sounded like it hurt!

He loves water, but not when his head goes under. It isn't the first time, and sure it won't be the last.
We are going to be having fresh fish for dinner.
B has it cleaned and ready for the bbq. A half for us two humans, and the other half for the lame jump dog lol.

Actually I swear his legs are made of springs the way he bounces and jumps most days...he will literally bounce around the house when in a playful mood. Funniest damn thing to watch.
He doesn't lack any personality that is for sure.
B was almost ready to dive over the side to save him. I was yelling NO at her. He was panicking so was thrashing hard and would have clawed her all to heck.

I think most any dog can swim just fine once the panic wears off

At our last house I took my hairless chihuahua in the pool and she swam just fine even though she never swam in all her 11 years.

So true Scott.
Dogs seem to be naturally able to swim.
Rupert swims often, and is a strong swimmer. This though was sheer panic when things went wrong. He seemed a little bit off for 20 minutes or so after reaching shore, then he was back to his normal self.

I will say if anyone does plan to get a Great Dane, please do your research first, and truly understand what you are about to get yourself into.
While I personally can't imagine ever not have a Dane or two or three in my home, they all come with a few genetic factors to consider. Bloat is a very serious condition and they are prone to it, and it is fatal. They really should be calmed down for a while before they get fed, and made to remain calm for a while after eating. They have a tendency as a puppy to gorge eat as well, and it takes a while to teach some to slow down and not make themselves sick. You may need to buy a food ball instead of a dish for their main food. They really do need a special food, and even as a puppy shouldn't be fed puppy food. They need a high protein, low fat, low sodium and phosphorus food. Meat is important in their diet, Rupert is fed a fair amount of meat, some vegetables and such, not just dog food. He took 6 months to train to slow down how he ate too fast. They have anxiety issues if left alone, so if you want a breed of dog you can just leave home all day and go to work or whatever, don't get a Dane. They are highly intelligent, so if you don't want a dog that sees you do something 3 or 4 times and has it figured out, a dane isn't the dog for you.
Rupert can open a door, he gets how to turn the handle and pull. He can open a car door like a human can or faster, I had to replace my fridge with one that doesn't have an ice dispenser on the front, because he loved ice and would push the tab in and cover the floor in ice cubes, then push them all over the house and eat a few. Most just melted and then the floors were soaked. Nothing is really out of reach if they are determined to get it, they probably will.
Drawers, cupboards, closets, the fridge, all are easily opened by a Dane.
They have a tendency to have hip and knee problems, so be aware of that.
As puppies they grow insanely fast, it is nothing for them to gain 5 lbs a week or more in a growth spurt week, and they need a lot of food, and tons of sleep as a puppy to grow so fast. Bringing home a 25 pound pup who is only 9 weeks old is normal, and they can be 90 to 100 lbs by 6 months. They actually can still grow slightly even after 2 years old, but those first 15 months are rather insane to see the growth.
As a puppy you must not exercise them too hard, no long runs, etc. You will destroy their long dangly legs if you run them hard till about a year and a half old.
And lastly they are fiercely loyal and thus protective. While a calm breed, and generally not aggressive, they can be aggressive if they feel their momma or poppa is in danger, and docile or not, if they go into protective mode, they are an incredible force you do not want to mess with. They are way faster than they should be for their size, their mouths are huge, and them jaws are beyond powerful. Something in them seems to naturally know to go for the throat, and they have no problem with a slight front leg bounce grabbing a tall man by the throat if they want to, and they can take a big man down. Originally bred to hunt tough animals like wild boars and such, I think that the slightest trace of that DNA still exists naturally in them. I watch Rupert around new people he doesn't know, for signs that he isn't happy with them. I warn people who he doesn't seem comfortable with to be very calm and quiet, because I have no doubt that if they then exhibited an aggressive attitude, he would take them down to protect me from what he views as a potential threat. I doubt that many people could fight off an angry 170 plus pound dog determined to protect the people who they love.

So while I love Danes, and think they are awesome, just food for thought to anyone who is contemplating getting a great dane to add to their family.

If someone has Tooter's email address or phone number, can you please send her a message and make sure that everything is okay.
Thanks

So true Scott.
Dogs seem to be naturally able to swim.
Rupert swims often, and is a strong swimmer. This though was sheer panic when things went wrong. He seemed a little bit off for 20 minutes or so after reaching shore, then he was back to his normal self.

I will say if anyone does plan to get a Great Dane, please do your research first, and truly understand what you are about to get yourself into.
While I personally can't imagine ever not have a Dane or two or three in my home, they all come with a few genetic factors to consider. Bloat is a very serious condition and they are prone to it, and it is fatal. They really should be calmed down for a while before they get fed, and made to remain calm for a while after eating. They have a tendency as a puppy to gorge eat as well, and it takes a while to teach some to slow down and not make themselves sick. You may need to buy a food ball instead of a dish for their main food. They really do need a special food, and even as a puppy shouldn't be fed puppy food. They need a high protein, low fat, low sodium and phosphorus food. Meat is important in their diet, Rupert is fed a fair amount of meat, some vegetables and such, not just dog food. He took 6 months to train to slow down how he ate too fast. They have anxiety issues if left alone, so if you want a breed of dog you can just leave home all day and go to work or whatever, don't get a Dane. They are highly intelligent, so if you don't want a dog that sees you do something 3 or 4 times and has it figured out, a dane isn't the dog for you.
Rupert can open a door, he gets how to turn the handle and pull. He can open a car door like a human can or faster, I had to replace my fridge with one that doesn't have an ice dispenser on the front, because he loved ice and would push the tab in and cover the floor in ice cubes, then push them all over the house and eat a few. Most just melted and then the floors were soaked. Nothing is really out of reach if they are determined to get it, they probably will.
Drawers, cupboards, closets, the fridge, all are easily opened by a Dane.
They have a tendency to have hip and knee problems, so be aware of that.
As puppies they grow insanely fast, it is nothing for them to gain 5 lbs a week or more in a growth spurt week, and they need a lot of food, and tons of sleep as a puppy to grow so fast. Bringing home a 25 pound pup who is only 9 weeks old is normal, and they can be 90 to 100 lbs by 6 months. They actually can still grow slightly even after 2 years old, but those first 15 months are rather insane to see the growth.
As a puppy you must not exercise them too hard, no long runs, etc. You will destroy their long dangly legs if you run them hard till about a year and a half old.
And lastly they are fiercely loyal and thus protective. While a calm breed, and generally not aggressive, they can be aggressive if they feel their momma or poppa is in danger, and docile or not, if they go into protective mode, they are an incredible force you do not want to mess with. They are way faster than they should be for their size, their mouths are huge, and them jaws are beyond powerful. Something in them seems to naturally know to go for the throat, and they have no problem with a slight front leg bounce grabbing a tall man by the throat if they want to, and they can take a big man down. Originally bred to hunt tough animals like wild boars and such, I think that the slightest trace of that DNA still exists naturally in them. I watch Rupert around new people he doesn't know, for signs that he isn't happy with them. I warn people who he doesn't seem comfortable with to be very calm and quiet, because I have no doubt that if they then exhibited an aggressive attitude, he would take them down to protect me from what he views as a potential threat. I doubt that many people could fight off an angry 170 plus pound dog determined to protect the people who they love.

So while I love Danes, and think they are awesome, just food for thought to anyone who is contemplating getting a great dane to add to their family.
I think everyone should do their research before adopting a dog. Most breeds have some sort of genetic disposition for one thing or another. Three of my chihuahuas have had irritable bowl disorder and required special diets. My little girl, Ginger, eats prescription dog food ($50 for an 8 pound bag) and throws up if she eats anything with animal protein in it.

If people did their research there would be fewer animals in the shelters looking for a home.[emoji17]

I think everyone should do their research before adopting a dog. Most breeds have some sort of genetic disposition for one thing or another. Three of my chihuahuas have had irritable bowl disorder and required special diets. My little girl, Ginger, eats prescription dog food ($50 for an 8 pound bag) and throws up if she eats anything with animal protein in it.

If people did their research there would be fewer animals in the shelters looking for a home.[emoji17]
Always a GSD.

Back