Cruise control issues for 2018

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Bryan Buck, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Bryan Buck

Bryan Buck Member

Every time I hit cruise control it says not available clean sensor. Anyone else have this issue?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. pauljboudreau

pauljboudreau Member

Just clean the Toyota crest in front of your truck

OR17TRD likes this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

If you clean it and it continues take it to the dealer. It’s a new truck under warranty.

Bryan Buck likes this.
  5. OP
    Bryan Buck

Bryan Buck Member

Taking it to dealer. I’ve cleaned it and it still won’t turn off the warning.

OR17TRD likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. OP
    Bryan Buck

Bryan Buck Member

Will do

OR17TRD likes this.
  8. mdk92799

mdk92799 New Member

This has happened to my truck twice in the past three days. It cleared after cleaning camera and sensor.

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  9. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

My TSS-P acted up for the first time the other day.
    A truck pulled out in the left lane when I was in the right and I got the “BRAKE NOW” warning in the information center for a split second. It made me pucker up.
    It ticked me off at first but I guess it was actually doing what it’s supposed to do because it shut up when the truck made it completely to the left lane.

10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

The TSS-P also saved me from rearending an out of state car on the interstate the other day that locked its brakes up out of nowhere. All in all it’s an awesome system.

Like the others said, clean the sensor and go from there. If it doesn’t clear up take it to the dealer ASAP.

manual tacoma likes this.
  11. So instead of starting a new thread when this title matches perfectly, my CC doesn’t feel right when I’m cruising down the hwy. I’ll set it, and as I go over higher overpasses or hills, it seems to downshift and rev higher but then it never comes back to that cruising gear. I have to cancel CC and step on the gas to get it to shift all the way through. 2018 not even at 1k miles yet

12. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Mine does this also. Ive noticed if I click the cruise control down 1-2 mph it will shift back to 6th gear. The cruise control seems to be “touchy”.

13. OR17TRD

This has been an issue since the 2016’s

CC still has issues on the turd gens :(

B-Man likes this.
  14. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

I get along with it.......doesn't bother me too much......I run the cruise but not real often.

Bogunn likes this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

My 18 model seems better than the 17.

B-Man likes this.
  16. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Unfortunately as the others have stated it is an issue. If you give it a little upkick with the mph setting it seems to help. It also seems to be worse in areas with a lot of hills.

B-Man likes this.
  17. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

On my '17 its pretty sensitive to changes in speed thus the hills which we don't have too many of......LOL Pretty flat here. We do have high winds alot and it tends to kick down to 5th so I don't use the cruise if driving against the wind.

18. manual tacoma

manual tacoma Member

I have the ‘18 manual trans so I don’t have this issue. I felt the transmission on the automatics shifted at the wrong time. (I’m sure I was wrong but it felt weird).

Devon R and B-Man like this.
  19. Scott Davis

Scott Davis New Member

Same here, first road trip and it feels like emergency brake is slightly on. Is there a TSB for this or are we just stuck with it...

TheChiefJaguar likes this.
  20. OR17TRD

The way TSB’s get made is by people letting Toyota know there is an issue. Call corporate and let them know your complaints.

Scott Davis, B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  21. OP
    Bryan Buck

Bryan Buck Member

Ok so the cruise control issue I was having was water in the sensor. Dealership said it’s been a common issue with no fix yet. So like simple washing with the hose could do this to anyone. At least they are working on a fix to protect the sensor.

OR17TRD likes this.