Custom exhaust

OffroadTaco4x4

I need some honest opinions. I am thinking about doing a custom exhaust set up, here is my idea. I want it to start right before the two lower cats. Yes I want to cut off the lower cats, then from there have a true dual set up that takes the same route as the stock exhaust, then goes to two borlas or something like that, then dumps before the rear axle. How do you guys think it will sound? Do you think I will have any power loss? Give me some honest answers please, if you think this is dumb then tell me.

True duals means one exhaust pipe from head to tailpipe without a crossover into the other exhaust. I would not go this route.

Removing cats always results in a low end power loss unless you have forced induction.

Yeah I know, I mean starting from before each cat, and keeping it two pipes the whole time, but keeping the same route as the stock exhaust. Why would you say don't do that? Just wondering

You mess with the flow of the exhaust. The exhaust pulse from one bank pulls the exhaust gas from the opposite bank when the exhaust valves are open(exhaust scavenging). You eliminate exhaust scavenging by running true duals which will in turn reduce low to mod range RPM power. You will gain high RPM power but how often are you at 5000 RPM? Most if not all aftermarket exhaust has a y or x pipe option to keep scavenging.

It's your truck so you can do as you wish but you will just end up doing more bad than good.

Yeah that's what I figured, how much power would you think I would lose? Because I do plan on turboing it, that's not just a dream, by brother does custom turbo setups for a living so he can hook me up cheap. And what do you think it would sound like? Like the tone and what not.

Not sure how much power you would lose. As far as sound goes this engine just doesn't sound good.

If your bro is going to hook it up I would just wait. A custom exhaust is needed for a turbo anyway.

Ok I was just bored siting under my truck and thinking up some cool exhaust setup. I guess it's about time for a 5.7 swap :)

Yeah if I couldn't get a turbo for super cheap I wouldn't do it. 6000 bucks for a sts and it maxes out at like 350 crank hp. I think we are guna use a t3/4 hybrid turbo on my truck which is made for like 2.5l engines. It's real small so I will gain alot on the low end which is all that really matters in a truck. He thinks we could do the whole setup for like 1750 which is pretty good

Back