Dad's

Sorry Rock happy day after Father's Day!

Thanks man....... Well, I need to focus on the tasks at hand.

Accepted a new job within my career. Beginning July 10, I'll be designing zero-turn commercial lawn mowers. The relocation starts on June 29.

Today's task is to build a skid to transport the motorcycle in the moving van with my furniture. The Tacoma will ride a car transport towed by the moving van. This will be a 450 mile move.

The other big task today is to do a partial assembly of the motorcycle. Its disassembled pending a new ignition system. So, I'll attach all the bits possible and build a crate for the motor. Dont want that 150 lb lump rolling around in the van.

So, its time to fire up the Tacoma to purchase a locking wheel chock for the motorcycle.

Good luck on the new job, and move. A set of tie down straps on the bars to compress the forks works well to transport a motorcycle in a van, or trucks bed.

@tacojoel Thanks for the tip. I've transported this bike in the past.

The problem with the Tacoma....it has a 73" bed, the bike's overall length is 89". The bike doesn't fit very well for that long of a haul riding in the Tacoma riding on a trailer. Plus the Tacoma only has 2 anchor points on the bed floor.

I built a shipping skid using a motorcycle locking wheel chock, 4 x 8 x 3/4 CDX, 2 x 4 for frame work and 4 eye bolts for anchor points, 4 ratchet straps (400 lb working load each). Bike is parked on top, front wheel in locking chock, straps on the triple tree and rear shocks. Then another set of straps to keep the whole shebang from migrating in the moving van.

Yeah, I'm excited about this move and job. I've been unemployed since I returned to the USA from China in December 2019. I had completed the 2nd 3 year contract with a leading power tool company at their primary factory. Took a couple months off, then Pandemic, then hiring took a dive..........life has been a hacky sac game with me as the ball.

When I was on the road with my dirt bikes, I had an enclosed trailer with wheel chocks, and tie down points inside the trailer to suck down the forks. Bikes were not much over 200 lbs. They never went anywhere. I use to haul them in my Toyotas pickup bed also when racing events in New England. I just secured the straps hooks to the steel anchor points in the front of the bed. Once socked down, the bikes front tire compressed against the bed, so nothing was going anywhere. I had to leave the tailgate down, as the rear tire would be there.

Back