Daytime Running Light LED's?

WiskyT

I just got my '15 Pre-Runner and it has LED DRL's. Is this standard on all '15's? I haven't seen another Taco with them yet and I figure some of the Taco's I see going down the road must be 15's. I just ASSumed they were standard, but maybe they are not?

This is gleaned from the interwebs. Mine look a lot like this or maybe exactly like this.

tta-712-2.jpg

They are a dealer add on. TSS Tacoma's have them. You can add them for about $375. They take the DRL bulb and move it to the LED. Which then becomes your DRL or you can have them on with headlights as well via switch inside.

Yeah, there is a switch in that bank of blanks below the RADIO that says "DRL". They operate independently of the other lights, I can have them on or off regardless of other lights being on or off and they shut off with the ignition. I didn't realize they were an extra as it's a lease and I don't pay that much attention to the features. I probably ought to pull out the window sticker and see what else I might have. Who knows, there could be a trunk monkey in the spare tire well:D

Edited to correct the location of the switch

Oh, and mine is definitely not the XSPX. It's the typical 4 door 4.0 auto Pre-runner with steel wheels. I'll snap a pick tomorrow and put it up.

Those are pretty sharp looking... I just got a '15 and it didn't come with them. Not sure they're worth $350+ tho

They aren't free. Your paying on the truck. Lol. Nothing is free in this world.
Actually, they are free. I negotiated the price of what I wanted and they called me a couple days later when the truck came in. It has the DRL LED's, a tow package, and possibly some other stuff I didn't pay for. I got it for the Toyota factory lease incentive price of $258/month for 48 months with no money down and the factory deal does not include the LED's.

Actually, they are free. I negotiated the price of what I wanted and they called me a couple days later when the truck came in. It has the DRL LED's, a tow package, and possibly some other stuff I didn't pay for. I got it for the Toyota factory lease incentive price of $258/month for 48 months with no money down and the factory deal does not include the LED's.
Nice. If you get a chance can you post a pic of them on at night?

Nice. If you get a chance can you post a pic of them on at night?

I'll shoot it and we'll see how a Samsung S4 handles it. I'm no Ansel Adams but if the phone can handle the lighting differences, I'll post it.

If you are trying to get some idea of how effective they are, they are just as noticeable as the ones you see on luxury cars in daylight. They stand out which is nice because I get tired of people stopping at intersections, looking right at me, and pulling right into my path. I know they'll do it anyway, but it should help cut down on the volume of people doing that. I drive all day in my semi and Taco on twolanes and these dumbasses down here look right at you like they are making eye contact and then they pull right out like you aren't even there. It's not even because they are in a hurry because there isn't anyone behind me. I'm going 60mph in and 80,000# truck in a 55 zone and it's like I'm invisible even with my headlights on. I always keep my headlights on for this reason but with these LED's, I don't have to worry about burning out the bulbs, plus, I think they stand out more due to the cool color. They aren't blue, but they are as close to blueish as you can get, they are very white.

I'll shoot it and we'll see how a Samsung S4 handles it. I'm no Ansel Adams but if the phone can handle the lighting differences, I'll post it.

If you are trying to get some idea of how effective they are, they are just as noticeable as the ones you see on luxury cars in daylight. They stand out which is nice because I get tired of people stopping at intersections, looking right at me, and pulling right into my path. I know they'll do it anyway, but it should help cut down on the volume of people doing that. I drive all day in my semi and Taco on twolanes and these dumbasses down here look right at you like they are making eye contact and then they pull right out like you aren't even there. It's not even because they are in a hurry because there isn't anyone behind me. I'm going 60mph in and 80,000# truck in a 55 zone and it's like I'm invisible even with my headlights on. I always keep my headlights on for this reason but with these LED's, I don't have to worry about burning out the bulbs, plus, I think they stand out more due to the cool color. They aren't blue, but they are as close to blueish as you can get, they are very white.
I know driver. I always have lights on. You and I both know these 4wheelers don't like to be behind us. I had one cut me off the other day I had to lock her down. Go to a fresh red light and pulled the brakes. Go out and told him if he ever cut me off again I'd put him in the ditch. His wife's jaw dropped. lol. Anyways. I was just curious on how they looked. I've been thinking about it but haven't seen how they look.

I know driver. I always have lights on. You and I both know these 4wheelers don't like to be behind us. I had one cut me off the other day I had to lock her down. Go to a fresh red light and pulled the brakes. Go out and told him if he ever cut me off again I'd put him in the ditch. His wife's jaw dropped. lol. Anyways. I was just curious on how they looked. I've been thinking about it but haven't seen how they look.

Next time you see a Lexus, Audi, MB etc coming at you with similar LED DRL's, you'll have a pretty good idea of what they look like.

Dawn on a cloudy morning. Nice and bright but the camera didn't allow the kind of detail to see the individual LED's.

Back