Disappointing v6

Alex W

I just bought a 2016 Tacoma crew cab 2WD auto long bed with the 3.5 and I am shocked at how underpowered it is compared to its. Predecessor the 4.0 V6. I had a 2015 GMC Canyon for about a year and the power (3.6 V6 with 305 HP) killed the Tacoma. Unfortunately the Canyon was in the shop way too often each time with a new problem. I guess overall I like the Tacoma better but the power, or lack there of) is so disappointing. Maybe in a couple of years Toyota will upgrade the 3.5 or have tweaks to help it out

I just bought a 2016 Tacoma crew cab 2WD auto long bed with the 3.5 and I am shocked at how underpowered it is compared to its. Predecessor the 4.0 V6. I had a 2015 GMC Canyon for about a year and the power (3.6 V6 with 305 HP) killed the Tacoma. Unfortunately the Canyon was in the shop way too often each time with a new problem. I guess overall I like the Tacoma better but the power, or lack there of) is so disappointing. Maybe in a couple of years Toyota will upgrade the 3.5 or have tweaks to help it out
That's exactly why I never sold my 2008. The 4.0 v6 I have on there is reliable and produces great power. The new 2016's are a joke. They're too much luxary and they don't have that off road feel compared to the old Tacomas. Unless you put a TRD supercharger on the new 2016's then I'd take it.

Get a MT,geared different, i got plenty of power because i can shift at whatever RPM i want,when i want. Your Auto has the same power, you have to find it high in the RPM"s.

That's exactly why I never sold my 2008. The 4.0 v6 I have on there is reliable and produces great power. The new 2016's are a joke. They're too much luxary and they don't have that off road feel compared to the old Tacomas. Unless you put a TRD supercharger on the new 2016's then I'd take it.
Good luck. Toyota stopped producing S/C last year. You can get them for 2005-2015. The company that made them for Toyota has rerelease them just without the TRD logo for about double what they were. I've seen them for $5995.

It's real simple - press the ECT button. With ECT engaged my Tacoma feels faster than my 2006 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. Sport mode will allow you to rev the RPM even higher and give you more power. These 2016's have no shortage of HP.

Good luck. Toyota stopped producing S/C last year. You can get them for 2005-2015. The company that made them for Toyota has rerelease them just without the TRD logo for about double what they were. I've seen them for $5995.
I'm talking about the 2016's. The 4.0's with 33 in tires do not even need superchargers. But the 2016 need them because of how slow they are.

It's real simple - press the ECT button. With ECT engaged my Tacoma feels faster than my 2006 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. Sport mode will allow you to rev the RPM even higher and give you more power. These 2016's have no shortage of HP.
Some type of NOS switch? Hahaha
I'll race my friend sometime in my 14 against his 16 and see who laughs last
I know I won't hear him over my Super 10 queefing "No No No!!!" with his MaginaFlow

Last edited:
But they're not as fast as the previous gen. They even tested it. I saw a video of a 2nd gen vs 3rd gen and the 2nd gen destroyed the new 2016's.

I saw that video. I wouldn't say the gen 2 destroyed the gen 3, but you have to account for the distance that they were racing. A little more and the gen 3 would have eventually pulled ahead. My truck has enough power to easily throw me against my seat.

I saw that video. I wouldn't say the gen 2 destroyed the gen 3, but you have to account for the distance that they were racing. A little more and the gen 3 would have eventually pulled ahead. My truck has enough power to easily throw me against my seat.
Hey we all got our opinions but I still think the 2nd gens are flat out faster.

Just pool boy! My wife might have something to say about that. I'm kidding people. My wife and I are planning a move to Florida next year. So building her first new home and me buying a boat or two is where my fun money is going . Built three new homes for my ex wife and general contracted the last one myself! Plus purple is a color my mother likes not for me! Ha

Back