Do I need longer shocks with 3" front and 2" rear lift kit?

I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4wd truck. I want to lift it front and rear for a more aggressive look and to level it out. I also want to at least maintain the factory ride. Do I need new longer shocks like the Bilstein 5100's or can I use the stock shocks? I noticed that some lift kits come with the 5100's just for the rear and that's what created my question.

I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4wd truck. I want to lift it front and rear for a more aggressive look and to level it out. I also want to at least maintain the factory ride. Do I need new longer shocks like the Bilstein 5100's or can I use the stock shocks? I noticed that some lift kits come with the 5100's just for the rear and that's what created my question.
You can get a leveling kit

I have a leveling kit that has not yet been installed. What I want to know is whether I need new longer rear shocks when I install the kit.

Simple answer is no... Someday down the road, you might want longer upper control arms in the front. They aren't absolutely necessary, but they'll allow a more proper alignment. Maybe 90-95% without them...

Legend has it that if you shut yourself in a bathroom, light some candles and turn off the lights, repeating the words "spacer lift" in the mirror will make whippersnapper appear...

Thanks Napalm. So, you're saying that with only a 3" lift up front that an alignment shop won't be able to do a perfect alignment unless I add longer upper arms?

Perfect alignments are for those that like to ride their bikes with no handlebars.
You'll be fine without longer UCAs.

No problem. Just make sure the guys that do the install for you know their way around suspensions and not just how to read instructions...

Simple answer is no... Someday down the road, you might want longer upper control arms in the front. They aren't absolutely necessary, but they'll allow a more proper alignment. Maybe 90-95% without them...

Legend has it that if you shut yourself in a bathroom, light some candles and turn off the lights, repeating the words "spacer lift" in the mirror will make whippersnapper appear...
HAHAHA!

islander1089 - I just installed a 3 in X 2 in leveling kit myself, kept stock shocks for now (their ok), put new rims on same size as my OEM (17's), but a tad bit wider. Put new tires on a little bigger and wider (Nitto Terra Grapplers G2), added 1 in spacers all around. The alignment is very good. Bigger wheels has a slight rub when turning but nothing serious and I will fix it asap by trimming the little plastic guard in front of the front tires...but overall...see my setup.

A couple of days ago I completed installing my Supreme Suspension 3" spacer lift on my 2012 Tacoma DCLB 4x4. The kit also included spacers to drop the transfer case about 1 1/2" to reduce the driveshaft angles to the front wheels and also small spacers for the back two bolts on the skid plate to lower it too. My plan was to install a 2" rear lift but when I got done with the front I put a level on the top edge of the bed and the truck was perfectly level so I left the rear alone. I recognize that the rear will compress with a load in it but just driving empty it looks just right. I also replaced the three interior light bulbs with LED's which for $12.00 was a brilliant addition that everyone should do. I want to post a couple of pics but I can't seem to figure out how to get them from my photo library to this thread. It keeps asking for a URL which I don't have unless I first post the pics on Photobucket or some other site.

Thanks. I took a couple of pics using my iPhone so Once I have them on my computer I will try to attach them.
Check your privacy setting. You have to have it on to post pics. Go to settings, privacy, photos then forum app. Once you have it turned on touch the pic icon and go from there.

Check your privacy setting. You have to have it on to post pics. Go to settings, privacy, photos then forum app. Once you have it turned on touch the pic icon and go from there.
Demo Man, I didn't have the Tacoma App. so I'm loading it now. Your instructions are spot on. Because my internet speed is very slow, like 2 Mbps, it will take about 10 minutes to download the app. Once I have it I can change my privacy settings and try to post from my phone. I'm kind of old school and prefer to do all my postings using my iMac.

Demo Man, I didn't have the Tacoma App. so I'm loading it now. Your instructions are spot on. Because my internet speed is very slow, like 2 Mbps, it will take about 10 minutes to download the app. Once I have it I can change my privacy settings and try to post from my phone. I'm kind of old school and prefer to do all my postings using my iMac.
Anytime. I have the iPhone 5. And I'm always having to turn on my privacy setting to post a pic. But I always turn it off when I'm done.

Back