Do you go to the Dealer for Maintenance?

Torchy

When I first got my truck I always went to the dealer to get maintenance done. As time has gone on though I've found myself going to the local (cheaper) shop more and more. What do you do?

I'm somewhat similar. My wife has a 2011 Sienna and I tend to take it to the Dealer for everything. My 03 though only goes to the dealer for things I'm worried about trusting the local shop with. For example, I've always had bad luck with breaks at local shops so I tend to take it to the dealer for that work.

The dealer is way expensive.
For my new 2013 Tacoma I will take to the dealer for a while...as that's the plan.
My 4Runner and my 85 Toy I take to the local work shop, when I can't do the work.
He is cheaper and does good work..and he is a super nice person...such a deal!

I do some stuff myself and there are other things I have the dealer do. They are surprisingly good and not to expensive.

Yeah i usually do. both dealers around here trusting and do good work and don’t rip you off. i just go to the one at the house.

but i’m going to be doing my 60K service my self here soon. i have like 51K.

I only go to the dealer if I need certain parts that parts stores don't carry. The only time it goes to a local shop is for stuff I don't have the tool's for. Like alignment. Other than that I do all my own repairs. I've done that on all my vehicles I've owned since the 1st car I bought. '70 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed. Got her in 1979 for a mere $450 I still have her.
You think these Tacoma's gas mileage suck try 6 miles a gallon and that's not kickin in the double pumper. Of course if I did then repairs were soon to follow. Waterpumps, clutches galore, 5 transmissions, blew the rearend twice. Yeah romping on it cost. Never had any problem with the engine, just everything attached in front or behind it. Even sent a rear shock thru the trunk a couple times before I put Ladder bars on her. Broke one of those as well, always the right rear. She'd do an easy 140 mph, geared for the highway 2.56 Posi, never lost a race, with 1 tie against a '69 RoadRunner she got all 4 gears scratch. :laughing:
Then again I rebuilt the engine when I 1st got it, it wasn't stock anymore after I got a hold of it. Those were the fun days. :devil2:

I go to the dealer for repairs under warranty, but never for maintenance. I do all my own maintenance work

parents brought the truck in to the dealer to get a boot swap kit, and to check on my leaking diff (of which they told me wasnt leaking... after I showed them 3 times that it WAS, because of them) since I was off-island and it needed them fixed for a safety check.

Turns out the diff seal they used was crap, like I said.
when I got home, checked their "work"

Tech didn't bother to clamp my outer, so it slid over the retention hump as soon as someone turned the wheel.

F. Dealerships.

parents brought the truck in to the dealer to get a boot swap kit, and to check on my leaking diff (of which they told me wasnt leaking... after I showed them 3 times that it WAS, because of them) since I was off-island and it needed them fixed for a safety check.

Turns out the diff seal they used was crap, like I said.
when I got home, checked their "work"

Tech didn't bother to clamp my outer, so it slid over the retention hump as soon as someone turned the wheel.

F. Dealerships.
Actually looks like the shaft is bent

Back