Does 89 octane save, and is 93 octane even better?

On a side note, my friends twin turbo automatic GTO with 530hp to the tires got 24mpg from California to Vegas. That's with some full throttle runs along the way. Haha.

I totally believe it. I had an early 1990's camaro with a V8 that got 29mpg on the highway in Indiana, where highways are nice and flat. There's something to be said for a streamlined car with lots or torque running a transmission that's truly designed for an 8 cyl engine.

GREAT QUESTION! Seems to me that higher octane has provided me with more power in my 4cyl 2013. Power's what you would want, true. There is also theoretical justification. See my post #27 in this thread. http://www.tacomaforum.com/showpost.php?p=19652&postcount=27 The disclaimer would be conditions. I don't know if it would be a hugh difference on flat land. Maybe within certain parameters it might not matter? Try it both ways. Let us know what you find!

I cant afford higher octane though...

I have a scanguage and driving to my hunting club in SC I got 21.2 MPG doing 68 MPH. Took me 10 min longer to get there but I went way further on the tank of gas !

I totally believe it. I had an early 1990's camaro with a V8 that got 29mpg on the highway in Indiana, where highways are nice and flat. There's something to be said for a streamlined car with lots or torque running a transmission that's truly designed for an 8 cyl engine.

Car is an 06 not the classic GTO. I'll have a to get video of it sometime. We just finished up the turbo install after about 7 months(I had more enthusiasm to work on it than he did). The power is just insane now and such little boost. Tranny doesn't like it though so as soon as he gets back the car goes in for a built tranny. The 3000 stall converter going in might take those MPGs away.

I should get paid soon. But i also loaned $600 and someone owes me all that. But theres no way im drivimg a car. I dont care that my truck burns all my money. At least its a truck

That's where you will fail my friend. Pride is not worth keeping sometimes and no one cares what you drive.

Last edited:
I live 50 miles from school and my jobsight. Its almost all highway. And i cant afford anythin different anyway. Come summer ill be driving less, and next semester ill get $1000 in a refund check. Im just holding on until the end of the semester.

I live 50 miles from school and my jobsight. Its almost all highway. And i cant afford anythin different anyway. Come summer ill be driving less, and next semester ill get $1000 in a refund check. Im just holding on until the end of the semester.

you could sell the truck and get a pretty decent used car with 2x+ the gas mileage

you could sell the truck and get a pretty decent used car with 2x+ the gas mileage

Kona's right, this isn't a bad choice. You should at least get 10,000 for a trade in and even more if you sell privately. Sometimes the reality doesn't come clear until you make the change, as hard as that my be. Don't let your pride be the reason your living check to check.

Does your job require you to have a truck? This I can understand.

Im a house builder, so its either a truck or SUV. And well, i think a tacoma does better than an suv. I have to be able to go to home depot and get what we need if my boss tells me, and since im least experienced its gunna be me most often anyway.

Update .... It continues. I've clicked off several tanks of 93 octane at a solid 21 mpg. This is mostly mountainous country roads with a stop sign or a stop light every 2 or 3 miles. Some of you mention that maybe I'm getting better mileage because I'm driving the 93 octane 'easier' than I drive 87 octane? You are correct. YES. I am. Because I CAN drive 93 octane easier. Get it? I can get up hills without having to FLOOR it. Actually, 93 octane is so much sweeter to drive -- no more cussing under my breath while clawing up a steep hill! The problem now is that I can't get myself to go back to 89 or 87 to see if I can reconfirm the difference. Just can't stand the thought of running another tank of that. Can't get myself to do it. So there is still that unknown.

My last two tanks of 93 octane were 21.7 mpg and 22.0 mpg.

Each tank saw about a third on mountainous highway, a third on mountainous back roads (stop about every 3 to 5 miles), and a third on flat rural roads.

I can get 400 miles on one fill up, and I don't have to floor the accelerator whenever there's a hill.

I've been testing this theory. On my 3rd tank of 93. Getting ready to make a 650 mile trip from VA to ME. All highway. And not 95 either. Tolls are to high for me to pay.

Back