Door removal

conflictingintentions

Does anyone have a good and easy method for door removal? Haven’t attempted, but looking for experience if someone has. This is for summer driving and rock crawling.

First you've got to figure out how to remove the wiring harness to the door that’s the main hurdle. The door hinges have 4 bolts, 2 each you can access easy enough and the one bolt for the door limiter/stop. You should be able to remove the hinges easy enough.
IMO These trucks are not made for that.
Then like @Crawdad said you’re going to loose the speakers in the door. You also loose the mirrors attached to the door, or have to figure out how to reattach them. Check the laws in your state for driving without side mirrors and without doors. Lots of states have fines. You will not be able to close and lock to the doors so there’s that. Your AC works best with doors and widows.
Also trying to get the door back on and alignment of the door will be difficult.
There is no easy way to take them off. It will require modifications.
If you do decide to do it please post your findings.

First you've got to figure out how to remove the wiring harness to the door that’s the main hurdle. The door hinges have 4 bolts, 2 each you can access easy enough and the one bolt for the door limiter/stop. You should be able to remove the hinges easy enough.
IMO These trucks are not made for that.
Then like @Crawdad said you’re going to loose the speakers in the door. You also loose the mirrors attached to the door, or have to figure out how to reattach them. Check the laws in your state for driving without side mirrors and without doors. Lots of states have fines. You will not be able to close and lock to the doors so there’s that. Your AC works best with doors and widows.
Also trying to get the door back on and alignment of the door will be difficult.
There is no easy way to take them off. It will require modifications.
If you do decide to do it please post your findings.

The doors are part of the cab structure. I wouldn’t do it. Tacomas are not Jeeps.

IMO I’d be afraid to pull them off too. I’m sure you can do it but I don’t know if it’s worth all the aggravation. Like @OR17TRD said, all the wiring harnesses and realignment issues trying to get them back on. And like @whippersnapper02 said it’s part of the cab structure. Each to their own though. If it works out let us know.

Thanks for the thoughts. I’m just exploring the idea for fun. I found some magnetic door connectors that eliminates the need for unplugging, but the structure is the angle I had not considered.

Back